Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Community Tips: Searching the Forums

by Admin Emeritus ‎04-30-2010 04:48 PM - edited ‎10-21-2010 10:29 AM

This week we want to let you know about a new feature in the forums you may not have noticed yet: Advanced Search.  But before we discuss it, let’s take a quick look at the Basic Search, an important tool to use before posting that question!

Simple Search

Right above the Verizon Community info on the right side of the forums home page, you will find a nice little box where you can start a basic search. (see screen shot below)

1064i4ED8AA5F2D17D3FA

You might not be sure whether your question has already been asked (and answered), or you might wonder about the best place to post. Start searching the Community by putting a few key words into that handy box above. Let’s do a search for “router bridging” (red arrow below shows you how it looks after you have typed it into the box and clicked Search).

1066i56B303BBD5BA2299

As seen above, you will get back multiple search results based on your keywords; you might even get some Accepted Solutions to your problem (there are two listed in this search so far; they are the ones with the green "checkmark" next to them). If you still haven’t found what you’re looking for, you can now dig into the Advanced Search (see the blue arrow above; it is found just to the right of your search term window).

Advanced Search

This search functionality allows you to be more specific with the search. You can type in exact phrases, tell it which words to avoid in the search results, where to look for results, certain authors, certain areas of the forum, results within certain dates, and more. You can even search by solved topic. Let’s search by solved topic now; hopefully, someone else has already submitted this, and there is an answer available.

We found 14 results for “router bridging” that had both of those words somewhere in the subject or post. I’ll bet one of them will answer the question (see below).

1067i85012EC2452D37F1

Find More Solutions

You will discover that Advanced Search is exactly the tool that is used by the forums themselves. If you look on the right side of the forums and scroll down to Recent Solutions, there is a link to Find More Solutions. Clicking that takes you to a long list of Accepted Solutions and Solved Topics which are generated by the Advanced Search functionality.

1069iD63088845ADEA8BB

Talk to Us

Have you tried these search features? Let us know what your best search tips are in the comments below.

Comments
by on ‎04-30-2010 05:12 PM

Becky,

Excellent post for letting folks know how to perform a search for an example.  I like the pictures which reinforce what you are explaining.  Good job...

Doc

by on ‎05-01-2010 07:08 AM

Good article Becky - hopefully people DO use the search.  We'll never know how many browse the forum, find an answer and leave without posting anything.  Based on the frequency of repeated questions, there are still many that don't though, so maybe this will help!

When I get a few results for my "keywords", I'll read some of those posts, and that may jog a NEW keyword or two that is even closer to my original search objective - so I can refine my search even more.  Searching effectively is an art form in itself at times.  Too specific, you get no results, and not specific enough you are overwhelmed with results!!

by anthony79 on ‎02-12-2012 08:36 AM

nice to be with you guys. hope, i could learn something that will increase my knowledge.

About this Blog
Welcome to the Verizon Community Blog created especially to keep our members up to date on the community. Here you'll get to know your community admins as they share stories, new ideas and ask for your feedback. Remember, this is YOUR community blog, so if you've got a great idea for a topic we should cover, let us know!

About the Authors

Heather_VZ

Verizon Community Manager

Photo of Heather_VZ

As Community Manager, Heather strives to make sure we are keeping our members at the center of our community, listening to member needs, and working with you to improve our community!

Interesting Places

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411