Customers With Disabilities

What Does the 4th of July Mean to You?

by Employee Emeritus ‎07-02-2010 01:29 PM - edited ‎10-22-2010 06:42 AM

For me, the greatest July 4th was in 1976, the U.S. Bicentennial.

I was 6 years old, living in a hot New York summer. Everything and everyone seemed patriotic in honor of our country’s independence. I remember the whole family getting together at a big lake and watching what seemed at the time to be the greatest firework display of all time. I still think of that night every 4th of July, and every time I see fireworks. It was one of the last times we all got together, everyone moved on soon after that.

I remember baseball, the summer pastime, and being a Yankee fan. Not sure if this is the case but it seemed like all the Yankees on the team then were superstars, and they never lost. Reggie Jackson, Bucky Dent, Thurman Munson, so many more. I’m no longer a big baseball fan but at that time I wanted to be a baseball player, and a Yankee.

My Dad was in the Army, I was proud of him, and I still am. We spent a lot of time together that summer, going to the lake, fishing, and sitting in his Bronco at the end of the runway on the Air Force base we lived on and feeling the planes blast over us. Camping in the backyard, learning to ride a bike, playing catch. He passed on several years back and is buried in Arlington National Cemetery. On the 4th of July, I think of him and his service and sacrifices for his country.

That July 4th set the bar high for the 4th of July for me.

Almost just as good was our first 4th of July in our new home a few years ago. It’s our first home, and our start on the “American Dream.” My wife, two young children, two dogs and me. We’d just settled into our new home, and the kids were excited about fireworks, which they’d never seen. On the 4th we can step out or door into the yard and see fireworks all around. The looks of amazement on the faces of my son and daughter as they say these multi-colored explosions all around them was priceless.

We asked you to tell us what 4th of July means to you and to share some of your traditions.

To TheGreatOne, the 4th of July is “a time of celebration to celebrate our independence.” TheGreatOne’s family would celebrate with afternoon picnics, and nighttime fireworks.

StreetDocRN reminds us that the 4th of July is a time to celebrate our nation’s 234 years of freedom. Doc reminds us to thank our many servicemen and women who have, of their own free will, defended our Constitution. Doc says, “One simple way we can celebrate our freedom and honor our freedom is to display the flag of our great nation.” Doc will be flying the flag on the 4th and wishing a happy 234th birthday to our United States of America.

Please feel free to keep sharing…

Comments
by on ‎07-02-2010 01:51 PM - last edited on ‎07-03-2010 05:40 AM by Moderator

May your dad rest in peace. Happy 4th of July to all the people on here (customers, employees, mods, adminstration...etc).  Thanks for putting what I said up. I appreciate that!  Also wanted to share some videos of a group singing The National Anthem. They're AWESOME:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zLpMoMkNyYg

[re-formatted]

by on ‎07-02-2010 07:09 PM

Happy Birthday, America.  Be Safe...

Doc

About this Blog
Welcome to the Verizon Community Blog created especially to keep our members up to date on the community. Here you'll get to know your community admins as they share stories, new ideas and ask for your feedback. Remember, this is YOUR community blog, so if you've got a great idea for a topic we should cover, let us know!

About the Authors

Heather_VZ

Verizon Community Manager

Photo of Heather_VZ

As Community Manager, Heather strives to make sure we are keeping our members at the center of our community, listening to member needs, and working with you to improve our community!

Interesting Places

Shop FiOS

• FiOS Internet
  • FiOS TV
  • FiOS Digital Voice
  • FiOS Deals

Account & Services

Email, News & TV

• Check Email
  • Announcements

Support Tools