1000Mbps Switch question
Megabuster

I have FIOS 75/35 service and want to connect my TV, Blu-ray and AV receiver using only one of ports on my MI424WR router.  So I think I need an ethernet switch to do that.  Is there any reason I would need a 10/100/1000 switch or will a 10/100 be all I need?  The TV and Blu-ray appear to have 100BASE-TX LAN specs listed in their manuals.  I cannot find specs on the receiver LAN card, but I suspect it's similar to the other components.  The main use is to stream movies via either the TV apps or the Blu-ray apps.  I had intermittent freezes when streaming via their wireless cards, but no issues when connected directly to the router.  Running a 25' cable across my rec room is not a good permanent solution, so I plan to put an Ethernet outlet near the components, rout some cable thru the walls to connect one of the router ports and then buy a switch to use for connection to the components.  Just not sure if a 10/100 switch is plenty or if I should consider a 10/100/1000 switch for any reason. 

Thanks for reading....I appreciate any advice you can offer.   

0 Likes
Re: 1000Mbps Switch question
sisnerafa1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'd go with the gigabit switch if for nothing else to be future proof and 100% it meets your needs. You can get an 8 port gigabit switch from monoprice.com for about $18 that works great. Wifi is great for convienience, but wired is more reliable and stable for heavy use if it's an option. As time goes by I keep adding more things to my wired network than I ever thought I'd need. If you're routing ethernet cables through walls, I'd make sure you use Cat-6 cables as well. Can pick them up cheaply from the same place as the switch. If you've never heard of it, it's like the Amazon of cables, computer and A/V stuff.

Justin46
Legend

I think you would be just fine with a 10/100 switch. However, if you can find a 10/100/1000 switch for a reasonable price I would go ahead and get that, it should future-proof you for higher speed usage in the future. I bought an inexpensive 5 port 10/100/1000 switch from NewEgg for $20, works well for my wife's PC, Smart TV, and occasional X-Box use. And I see ads for 10/100/1000 switches pretty regularly, up to 8-port models, for $20-$40 or so.

Keller, TX 76248 (VHO 1)

0 Likes
Megabuster

Thanks for the responses....sounds like either one will meet my needs so I'll see what I can find. 

0 Likes