195kbps download speeds - What gives?
PRNDL

I have Verizon FiOS Internet and TV. I have the Westell 9100. I use a Macbook Pro. I connect to my modem wirelessly.

I am experiencing TERRIBLY slow speeds. I used the www.speakeasy.net/speedtest and got results of 195 kbps download speeds but 4500 kbps upload speeds.

What could be causing this?  

Tags (2)
0 Likes
Re: 195kbps download speeds - What gives?
i_like_turtles
Contributor - Level 1

where are you at in comparison to your wireless router?

If you are in the same room, then there is definately something funny going on.

but if you are in the back yard underground bunker then its because you are underground.

all jokes aside, stuff like lead paint will not only stop superman from watching you while you sleep, but it will stop or slow a wifi signal from excaping.

so try your superior computing device in the same room as the router if you arent already

0 Likes
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
also, try running the MAC 'broadbandtuner' located at appledotcom if you search for 'verizon fios' under 'support'
0 Likes
cvarner

What kind of speed are you expecting to see? That's 19.5 Mb/s...

0 Likes
Techman28
Master - Level 1

19.5 would read 19500......Has the Optimizer been ran on the macbook. what are your speeds hardwired?

Message Edited by Techman28 on 07-27-2009 05:37 PM
0 Likes
szhao
You can also try to change the channel you're on for the wireless. It is under wireless, basic wireless settings. I've had problems w/ fios on wireless but i found channel 6 to work best for me. If 6 doesnt work, try 1 or 11. Hope this helps
0 Likes