2 xbox 1 router, can't party together.
rcjc1

I bought a 2nd copy of Modern Warfare 3 to play with my brother, but whenever we party up we either can't get into a game or one of us will get kicked out when the other one joins the same game. We can both play individually at the same time, but in different lobbies. 

Here's what information I could find on our systems & router. Any help would be appreciated.

Actiontec MI424-WR Rev. E. 

Firmware: 20.19.8

Both wired connections

Fios TV & Internet

Host:     new-host-2 (Xbox 2)

IP Address:         192.168.1.12

Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.0

MAC Address:   7c:ed:8d:c6:99:0a

Network Connection:    Bridge

Lease Type:        Dynamic

Port Forwarding Services:            None

Windows Shared Folders:            \\192.168.1.12\

Host:     new-host (Xbox 1)

IP Address:         192.168.1.4

Subnet Mask:    255.255.255.0

MAC Address:   00:22:48:9b:3e:84

Network Connection:    Bridge

Lease Type:        Dynamic

Port Forwarding Services:            None

Windows Shared Folders:            \\192.168.1.4\

Broadband Connection

Coax Status:       Connected

Connection Type:            DHCP

IP Address:        {edited for privacy}

0 Likes
Re: 2 xbox 1 router, can't party together.
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

I believe this will help you

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/Unable-to-consistently-keep-XBOX-Live-party-with-multiple...

If not post 31 of in that thread, because you have FIOS TV - for example, then maybe post 27 of that thread.

0 Likes
rcjc1

I tried doing what I saw in there, had to reset to defaults. What exactly from the thread do I need to do?

0 Likes
JayTee2
Enthusiast - Level 3

If everything works as it is supposed to, all you would need to do is to enable Universal Plug And Play (UPnP) on your router.  You want to make sure you have disabled DMZ (if you enabled it at some point).  And, make sure you use DHCP for both Xboxes.  UPnP requires DHCP assigned IPs, so manually assigning IP addresses to you Xbox consoles will cause UPnP to fail.

However, I have the same version router and firmware as you, and I found that UPnP did not work.  You should still try it, if you have not, to ensure the problem is not with my router.

In the post that dsl referenced, the Actiontec router was converted to a bridge and a third-party router (D-Link in this case) was used.  This third-party router had UPnP properly implemented.  This is not something someone who has never messed around with routers should be doing.  And, while bridging the Actiontec is supposed to support FIOS TV (except DVR), it was not tested by the referenced post. 

So, it depends on your level of expertise/confidence with respect to your router....

- If you are a novice, then simply try enabling UPnP and ensure DMZ is disabled (i.e. not enabled) on the Actontec.  Again, be sure the xbox consoles are automatically getting their IP addresses (do not manually assign them).

- If you know how to reset and recover your Actiontec's configuration, then reset the router to factory settings, configure your WiFi and enable UPnP.  This ensures you undo any forgotten changes prior to enabling UPnP.  Again, be sure the xbox consoles are automatically getting their IP addresses (do not manually assign them).

- If you are knowledgable and comfortable in configuring the Actiontec and a router of your choosing, then refer to the bridging post and give it a go.  But, be prepared to reset and re-configure your Actiontec to act as a router, once again, in case things don't go as expected.  This option is a last resort and can cause you to loose service, if you do not know what you are doing.