30/30 UPLOAD SPEED ISSUE
jbandtina1
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having upload speed issues.... I have spent over 3 hours with Verizon Tech on the phone/and or computer (optimizing, etc.), replaced the router twice; had two techs come out to the house to check the box and speed entering the house (everything checked out just fine)... it is very frustrating because I am unable to upload any pictures, etc. to any application or site (shutterfly, yahoo email, etc.) Verizon is baffled and can not figure the issue out, because the line coming into the house and the lines in the house test out fine. It is not my computer...cause they used there own outside on the line and could not upload.  I even had billing remove internet service from my package and reinstate to see if we could jolt a circuit from Verizon (on-site tech recommended) He thought it may be some sort of programming with my profile... Any help or ideas would be appreciated! What else can I do?  Should I replace the outside box anyway?  Here is what I am getting, although sometimes the upload speed says anywhere from  0.68-3.82Mb/s:

Checking for Middleboxes . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Done

SendBufferSize set to [261360]

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 3.82Mb/s

running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 41.81Mb/s

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 30/30 UPLOAD SPEED ISSUE
Hubrisnxs
Legend

jbandtina1

Is that on a hardwired connection with only the actiontec in the picture? 

if so then yes - something is definetely going on,   if they haven't tried a new router then that is one step, possibly a bad Network terminal, or further up on their end like described to you by the tech.  

View solution in original post

Hubrisnxs
Legend
  1. Get on a hardwired machine
  2. Test at http://speedtest.verizon.net
  3. Click on Analysis Results
  4. Paste those results here.
  5. In Very RARE cases you have to adjust your NIC Settings *see picture below*

Those results may hold the key to your problem.  Also please let us know if you are in fact using the Verizon Actiontec Router, or one of your own and what model

0 Likes
jbandtina1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Action Tec M142

I am getting better test results today...but still I am not close to 30/30 and Verizon Tech was out today saying there is still an issue and they are trying something at there end...

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 10.07Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 43.35Mb/s

------ Client System Details ------
OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_04

------ Web100 Detailed Analysis ------
Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
45 Mbps T3/DS3 link found.
Link set to Half Duplex mode
No network congestion discovered.
Good network cable(s) found
Normal duplex operation found.

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 144.3 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 170 packets retransmitted, 2708 duplicate acks received, and 2869 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 5.11% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 87.09% of the time.
This connection is network limited 7.81% of the time.

Web100 reports TCP negotiated the optional Performance Settings to:
RFC 2018 Selective Acknowledgment: ON
RFC 896 Nagle Algorithm: ON
RFC 3168 Explicit Congestion Notification: OFF
RFC 1323 Time Stamping: OFF
RFC 1323 Window Scaling: ON
Information: Network Middlebox is modifying MSS variable
Server IP addresses are preserved End-to-End
Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

0 Likes
Just_Asking
Enthusiast - Level 2

I have a similar issue with my Fios speeds which are supposed to be 15MB/s and 5 MB/s respectively. I noticed that when I use my wireless laptop, I do get the Verizon promised speeds. However, when I use a hard-wired connection, I get about 8.75 MB/s for download and 5MB/s for updload. I suspect that I have either noise on my internal wiring or maybe a D-Link switch that I have between the ActionTech modem/router is reducing the download speed.  I did another test by going next to the modem/router and used a network cable to connect my laptop to the back of the router and got the advertised speeds of 15/5 MB/s. My next test was to disconnect the D-link switch in my office and plug in my laptop at the network drop. Bingo: my download speed was reduced even below 8.75 MB/s so it seems that the switvh is not the culprit but the wiring itself.  The funny thing is that only the download speed is being affected according to speed tests that I have conducted multiple times.  So I guess I will leave with this wired limitation and leave the wired connections and low speeds for my network printer. I will continue using wireless connection for my laptop until I figure out how to correct the wired degradation.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

jbandtina1

Is that on a hardwired connection with only the actiontec in the picture? 

if so then yes - something is definetely going on,   if they haven't tried a new router then that is one step, possibly a bad Network terminal, or further up on their end like described to you by the tech.  

GeriDoc

I have had a similar problem for several weeks.  My dl speed is fine, most recent test at 27 Mbps.  My upload was 1.53, despite my contracted speeds of 25 each way.  I have run the speed optimizer and Verizon has replaced my router, to no effect. The computer is hard wired to the router.   Last night, after a 2 hour troubleshooting session the tech agreed that I had ul speeds between 0.5 and 2.0 Mbps, that my computer was optimized and that my Actiontec router was on the best channel.  The conclusion was that that this is what I can get, so live with it, maybe it will get better later.  After thinking about this overnight, I realize that this is unacceptable, and am hoping that someone here can suggest another approach.  Otherwise, I'll have to see what other ISPs can do for me.

0 Likes
Justin46
Legend

@jbandtina1 wrote:

Action Tec M142

I am getting better test results today...but still I am not close to 30/30 and Verizon Tech was out today saying there is still an issue and they are trying something at there end...

Broadband Speed Test

Analysis information:

running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 10.07Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 43.35Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows XP, Architecture = x86, Version = 5.1
Java data: Vendor = Oracle Corporation, Version = 1.7.0_04

Client Receive Window detected at 1045440 bytes.
Link set to Half Duplex mode

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 144.3 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
There were 170 packets retransmitted, 2708 duplicate acks received, and 2869 SACK blocks received
The connection was idle 0 seconds (0%) of the time
This connection is receiver limited 5.11% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 87.09% of the time.
This connection is network limited 7.81% of the time.

Information: Network Address Translation (NAT) box is modifying the Client's IP address

I don't know if this has any effect or not, but my test shows full duplex while yours shows half duplex:

Broadband Speed Test
Analysis information:

SendBufferSize set to [522720]
running 10s outbound test (client to server) . . . . . 24.38Mb/s
running 10s inbound test (server to client) . . . . . . 30.67Mb/s

OS data: Name = Windows 7, Architecture = x86, Version = 6.1
Java data: Vendor = Sun Microsystems Inc., Version = 1.6.0_32

Client Receive Window detected at 104448 bytes.
Link set to Full Duplex mode

Web100 reports the Round trip time = 20.5 msec; the Packet size = 1452 Bytes; and
No packet loss - but packets arrived out-of-order 0.04% of the time
This connection is receiver limited 7.44% of the time.
This connection is sender limited 92.19% of the time.

My send buffer size is about double too, of course I am on Windows 7 you are on XP. My understanding is that Windows 7 does a good job of auto-tuning the send buffers and that XP does not do that; have you actually run the FiOS Optimizer?

Just a couple of thoughts.....

Keller, TX 76248

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

try the optimizer at speedguides website

http://www.speedguide.net/downloads.php

push that puppy all the way upto 100MB and click optimal settings and check mark "modify all adapters" and see if it makes a difference

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

When using a hardwired connection, did Verizon run the test with the same cable you are using? I have seen a bad cable not allow a full duplex connection. Also if there is anything connected between the router and your PC, it may not negotiate a full duplex connection. If you have an old HUB they run half duplex, and I have seen a D-Link Switch that would not negotiate a full duplex connection with another switch, but would work fine between PCs. Older hardware.

You can look here, for the switch port in the router.

They have replaced the router more than once. Have they replaced the ONT? If not, perhaps they should.

jbandtina1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you for the suggestions.  It was exactly as you just described.  Verizon sent a top tier tech out, (not scheduled) yesterday and he figured out somehow that it was probably something at one of their hubs.   This area is supplied by two hubs, 10's of 1,000's of people.  They waited until between 1:00 AM & 7:00 AM and shut the entire system down to 1,000's of people in order to switch out a terminal (board or something) at one of the hubs!  Well, guess what it worked like a charm...and it was on their end.  Now I am showing 40/35 speeds.  The tech that came out said a ton of folks were probably affected but never knew, cause they were not uploading 6MB pictures all day... So thank you all... and I hope my post helps others.

0 Likes