Abandoned by Verizon
Tony_Linguini

As the FiOS was rolling out in the area 5 years ago, I was anxious to get it at my home. I had experienced it at my business and was really pleased. I signed up for email alerts and started the wait. Somewhere in the interim, I changed from static IP to dynamic at my home, and was sold and provisioned the 7meg DSL. When they were testing the line, they found out that the vendor who wired from the CO to my block used a smaller gauge wire than was ordered. Somehow they left something provisioned at the switch because I was getting a consistent 4000 Kbps download. At some point this was realized and they "flipped" a switch and now I am lucky to get 2500 Kbps. Since I was optimistic about FiOS I was goint to settle. After dealing with the liason between Verizon and my city for three years it is obvious I will never have FiOS. So the first quarter of next year I am removing my DSL (and phone) in favor of cable. While I know this is a familiar story for many rural areas, I am 10k feet from the CO and there are 7 colleges between and they have FiOS a half mile from me. Just my 2 cents.

0 Likes
Re: Abandoned by Verizon
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Is there anyone immediately around you with FiOS? I've been waiting for years to get FiOS at my home. Only recently did they bring it within a few miles of my home, two years ago. Right now the closest active FiOS service is two miles away from my home. As of this past July, they started laying down some FiOS Equipment nearby, however they still have yet to do anything with it. Cabling is up on the poles, at least the barebones portion of it, and a Fiber Distribuition Hub is within walking distance of my home. I was hoping they would wire it up sometime before Winter, but it looks like they'll be doing the work, if they don't abandon it and go to Fixed LTE (ugh) by this summer. At which time, I'm *hoping* I will be able to order it.

Still at 1Mbps and am in need of a lot more. Still holding out for it to show up but patience only lasts for so long.

0 Likes