ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2 router firmware upgrade
metom2

My  ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2 router  current firmware is  20.19.8

The Verizon  download version file is  MI424WR-GEN2_20_10_7_5.rmt  - which shoud mean  20.10.7.5

at   http://my.verizon.com/micro/fiosrouters/?router=mi424wr-gen2

What is up with this? I have a much more current version on the router and it is set to disable automatic upgrades... Am i suppose to go back to this older version???

0 Likes
Re: ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2 router firmware upgrade
prisaz
Legend

If you are having no problems, I would leave the router with the version it came with.

If you have a router with the older version, I would not change it to the newer version that may be available from Actiontec. But leave it at the version available from Verizon, unless instructed by Verizon to change it .

There may be some minor hardware differences on the same revision router, though you would think not. I have heard when people update from Actiontec via the auto update feature, they sometimes run into issues.

Old saying. If it aint broke don't fix it. I believe as instructed by Verizon, Actiontec or Verizon is shipping the routers with the auto update feature off.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Very interesting.  My router is MI424WR (not Gen2) and has firmware 4.0.16.56.0.10.14.4 (which has got to be the most ludicrous version number on the planet.) I tried the "Check Now" option on the router's Firmware Upgrade page but that never returned from saying "Check in progress."  The router is set to "Automatic check disabled."

Checking the Verizon download page for my router produced this download:

4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6-MI424WR.rmt

which does appear to be an older version of the firmware. Needless to say I did nto install it.

Something is very weird in the land of Verizon router firmware.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

There are various revisions pre Gen 2 and even Gen 2 depending on the hardware Rev. Listed on the sticker on the bottom of the router. You can also find it when you log into your router and select system status. If you have a Rev. C or prior, I would try to get it replaced, if you can get a Rev. D replaced, that would be good also. But unless it is broken or really old, support is not likely to just replace it without cause. When mine was replaced, I was told not to send the old one back. It was a Rev. D. I believe the pre Gen 2 routers have a smaller NAT table, and people complained when playing online games, and other applications that used peer to peer, with many connections at one time. The router would run out of memory and lock up. But if you are not having that issue I would just let it go.

What my router shipped with.

0 Likes
bbinnard
Contributor - Level 3

Well....mine is a Rev C

Router Status
Firmware Version:4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4
Model Name:MI424-WR
Hardware Version:C

and I tried valiently for months to get it replaced with a Rev F (or is it Rev G - I forget)  wireless N router.  I was even told that I would get a new Wireless N router when I upgraded my service to 35/35 from 15/5. I even had a date/time set for a tech to do the install of the new router.

But in the end Verizon would not do it, and told me that the Wireless N models are only for business accounts and only for the 125/50 service.

As a result of this I bought a separate N router which I have set up as an N access point.  This works OK but is an annoying (and costly) alternative to what could have been a clean solution.  

I'd rate this level of customer service as poor.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend
You were told correctly. Even though the Wireless G does not support the 35/35. Rev. E is is what most everyone is getting. But I have heard of some Rev. F going out at times. I guess it depends on availability, when the Rev. E runs out of production, perhaps when there is no more Rev. E in stock. I know even on a wired connection the Rev. C is prone to locking up when playing multi user games such as X Box. Now if you were having problems with the X Box App for FiOS TV, I would demand a new one. Even Gen 2 Rev. E is better than C. Will not help wireless much. If you have your router plugged into the Rev. C, I would say the Rev. C should go. Option I used. I use the Hawking HWABN1, but there are cheaper ones available. 

I would say that Rev C is very old, and you should qualify for a newer version, since it is locking up intermittantly. Rev. C will probably be told to send to the recyle bin.Smiley Wink 

bbinnard wrote:

Well....mine is a Rev C

Router Status
Firmware Version:4.0.16.1.56.0.10.14.4
Model Name:MI424-WR
Hardware Version:C

and I tried valiently for months to get it replaced with a Rev F (or is it Rev G - I forget)  wireless N router.  I was even told that I would get a new Wireless N router when I upgraded my service to 35/35 from 15/5. I even had a date/time set for a tech to do the install of the new router.

But in the end Verizon would not do it, and told me that the Wireless N models are only for business accounts and only for the 125/50 service.

As a result of this I bought a separate N router which I have set up as an N access point.  This works OK but is an annoying (and costly) alternative to what could have been a clean solution.  

I'd rate this level of customer service as poor.

0 Likes
JayTee2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Back to the OP's inquiry...

My  ActionTec MI424WR-GEN2 router  current firmware is  20.19.8

The Verizon  download version file is  MI424WR-GEN2_20_10_7_5.rmt  - which shoud mean  20.10.7.5

at   http://my.verizon.com/micro/fiosrouters/?router=mi424wr-gen2

What is up with this? I have a much more current version on the router and it is set to disable automatic upgrades... Am i

suppose to go back to this older version???

The default link on the firmware upgrade page, of your router, points to the Actiontec website and not Verizon (VZ).   At some point, someone downloaded that firmware and installed it on your router.   I have the same issue.  I tried to revert back to 20.10.7.5, because I was having UPnP issues, but it would not let me.  It gave me an message saying something like "Not created from the same vendor." and terminated.

I spoke with VZ support SEVERAL times (over months) trying to resolve my UPnP issue and they finally agreed to send me another router with the 20.10.7.5 firmware.  The router arrived, but it too had 20.19.8 installed.  I sent it back.

What does this mean to you?  Well like someone else replied, if you are not having any problems, don't worry about it.  Sounds like you are fine.  You might have an issue upgrading to a newer firmware, if there is one.  But, until then I would not worry about it.

0 Likes
Kamika007z

Hey all,

I just wanted to let you guys know that 20.10.7.0 is more stable than 20.10.7.5 since the latter has reported UPnP issues (as another person has stated here as well). However, even with 20.10.7.0, I would have issues where my set top boxes would sometimes not be able to resolve an IP address, forcing me to reboot the router.

What I ended up doing was manually copying and entering the provided URL listed on the upgrade page of the router into a web browser and downloading it manually. The update offered was 20.19.8 and after updating my router, it ended up fixing my IP issues as well as the UPnP issue and haven't come accross the issue at all.

Just as a note: When I recently checked the URL again, it pointed to a newer build of 20.20.8 - both builds have been far better than the older versions (20.10.7 & 20.10.7.5). These are, in fact, Verizon-based firmware since it keeps both branding as well as its required feature set in order to operate on Verizon's network.

Verizon has been slow to approve and provide any updates for pretty much anything (Such as wireless handset updates (i.e. BB10 updates)), so IMHO these builds are perfectly fine and safe to use.

Just thought I would offer my two cents. Hope this helps!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@prisaz wrote:

There are various revisions pre Gen 2 and even Gen 2 depending on the hardware Rev. Listed on the sticker on the bottom of the router. You can also find it when you log into your router and select system status. If you have a Rev. C or prior, I would try to get it replaced, if you can get a Rev. D replaced, that would be good also. But unless it is broken or really old, support is not likely to just replace it without cause. When mine was replaced, I was told not to send the old one back. It was a Rev. D. I believe the pre Gen 2 routers have a smaller NAT table, and people complained when playing online games, and other applications that used peer to peer, with many connections at one time. The router would run out of memory and lock up. But if you are not having that issue I would just let it go.

They just shipped me a replacement router, delivery tomorrow morning.

Was amazed when they said they'd charge me for the new one if I didn't send the old one back - Westell 9100EM with the original firmware it came with from way back when  - must be wanting it for the museum

0 Likes