Actiontec Rev I is Terrible!
chomper87
Enthusiast - Level 3

<slight rant>

Biggest {word filter avoidance} ever. Freezes every 24hrs. Just dies.

</slight rant>

I miss my PFSense Box.

0 Likes
Re: Actiontec Rev I is Terrible!
db909
Contributor - Level 3

Then you got a dud, swap it and get a new one.  My Rev I hasn't locked up or needed to be reset since I got it last year.  The wifi isn't that hot, but no ISP ships a high end router from a wifi perspective, so use your own router.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can still use your pfSense box if you want! Get your ONT switched to Ethernet instead of MoCa and simply hang the ActionTec off of your pfSense box or a switch connected to the box, so that the FiOS TV STBs can still get data service.

What version of the firmware is installed on your Rev. I?

0 Likes
db909
Contributor - Level 3

@Smith6612 wrote:

You can still use your pfSense box if you want! Get your ONT switched to Ethernet instead of MoCa and simply hang the ActionTec off of your pfSense box or a switch connected to the box, so that the FiOS TV STBs can still get data service.

You don't have to switch to ethernet to use another router or access point.  More importantly your response does not address the root complaint.

0 Likes
VUser50
Contributor - Level 2

Meanwhile Optimum Online is offering an AC router. (D-Link DIR-868L) Granted they turn it into a Optimum Hotspot.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@db909 wrote:

@Smith6612 wrote:

You don't have to switch to ethernet to use another router or access point.  More importantly your response does not address the root complaint.

RIght, but then why strap yourself to using the ActionTec in-line of your pfSense box? You're honestly asking for more trouble down the road since the ActionTec doesn't HAVE to use coaxial. Switching to Ethernet for the WAN gives you just more flexibility.

I can't do anything about the ActionTec stability issues, though. Realistically, replace it, or watch your network traffic to see why it's crashing? There have been some past stability threads concerning reboots of the ActionTecs after 24 hours. Those might also hold answers.

0 Likes