Actiontec email logs
Darmok
Enthusiast - Level 1

...I'm a bit frustrated.  I posted originally to the Verizon Direct forum on DSLr.  Usually I get great responses but this time I got a lame two liner, spelling errors included, from "Tonya C" telling me to post here.  Totally not used to getting bad tech support from Verizon.

We have Verizon's Actiontec MI424-WR Router, rev C.

I want the router to email its logs to me periodically. Below is what I've set, but so far I'm getting nothing - not even anything that would indicate it's even trying, in its own logs.

In Advanced > Users > Administrator, I gave it our main account email address and set both 'tify pop-ups to "Information". Then I hit the "configure notification mail server" link and set:

Outgoing Mail Server: outgoing.verizon.net

From Email Address: <our main account name>@verizon.net

Port: 587

(checked) Server Requires Authentication

User Name: <our main account name>

Password: <the password>

First, I tried using the standard port. Then google led me here:

http://www22.verizon.com/residentialhelp/fiosinternet/email/setup+and+use/questionsone/86782.htm

What have I missed?

Thanks,

- Dan.

Re: Actiontec email logs
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

@Darmok wrote:

I want the router to email its logs to me periodically. Below is what I've set, but so far I'm getting nothing - not even anything that would indicate it's even trying, in its own logs.

- Dan.

It seems the Actiontec only supports 4 character passwords for this function:

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r23015949-Actiontec-MI424WR-Outgoing-Mail-Server

http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r24179438-BUG-Actiontec-MI424-WR-FW-4.0.16.1.56.0.10.11.6

0 Likes
Darmok
Enthusiast - Level 1

Actiontec Support sayeth:

If it is truncating the password, this is the first I've heard of it but its possible as DSLR reports tests an awful lot of products that we don't always hear about.I would suggest contacting Verizon and have them test this in the engineering lab to confirm or deny that the issue is as they state.To my knowledge the feature should be working and from what you've described, it sounds like you've configured it correctly.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

I suppose for the time being, if you cannot get an e-mail account set up a with a 4 character password, there is another alternative to keeping a record of the logs. If you have a PC in your home that is constantly running and is on Ethernet, you could set up a logging server on that PC, and then configure the ActionTec to send logs to that PC.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Darmok wrote:

Thanks,

- Dan.

Those logs are so small that they wrap many times a day.

If you really want to see what is in the logs you need to run a syslog server on some other machine - I use the Kiwi syslog server.  You can then adjust the buffer sizes etc to make the data a little more meaningful.

To send the logs to the syslog server go to the router's advanced tab and select system settings.  At the bottom of the window enter the destination address/addresses for the system and security logs.

If your syslog server is behind a secondary router running a different subnet you will have to forward UDP port 514 thru that router to the destination server.

0 Likes