Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
tlb68
Device: linksts WRT54G2
Plan: Internet ,TV, phone
0 Kudos

Adding a Router

Has anyone had success adding a second router to act as an AP with the Actionterc Router?  I am trying to expand wireless coverage in my house and would like to use a linksys router I have and set it up as a wireless Access Point on another floor of my home.  I don't want to add it to my netork with ethernet connection because that would mean running cable through floors and walls.

Copper Contributor
astro_guy
0 Kudos

Re: Adding a Router

Yes - I am running my former Linksys WRT54GL in wireless bridge mode to provide a wired access point at a remote location.  See www.dd-wrt.com for the router firmware you will need and other instructions.  Alternatively you could Google the phrase "WRT54 bridge mode" for other solutions.  IIRC the dd-wrt installation was a two step process to flash the router followed by some trial and error on the configuration of the wireless bridge (nee Linksys router).

Platinum Contributor I
Hubrisnxs

tlb68 wrote:

Has anyone had success adding a second router to act as an AP with the Actionterc Router?  I am trying to expand wireless coverage in my house and would like to use a linksys router I have and set it up as a wireless Access Point on another floor of my home.  I don't want to add it to my netork with ethernet connection because that would mean running cable through floors and walls.

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking

It's pretty common for people to piggy back a 2nd router off of the actiontec for exactly the reason you described.  The above link will give you various configuration setups and solutions and is probably one of the more complete FAQ's out there.

Copper Contributor
astro_guy
0 Kudos

After revisiting your original message it seems that you want to extend wireless coverage without running any wires.  Perhaps what you need is a wireless range extender.  There are some references to WDS repeater moder over at www.dd-wrt.com suggesting that your existing Linksys could be configured to provide this capability, but I have not tried it personally.  Having used dd-wrt to convert my Linksys router to an access point, I would say to steer clear if you don't have an above average grasp of networking concepts.  The cleanest solution to would be to run a WIRED link from the Actiontec router to your existing Linksys router and then use that as your remote wireless access point.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411