Adding second Fios router to get LAN ethernet in basement
JamaicaJoe008
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi ,

I have Fios TV+Internet. We have two STBs : 1 upstaris and 1 in basement.

The upstairs STB shares a COax with an Actiontec  router, that provides WiFi throughout the house.

Now, I am in a situation where I need LAN internet in basement, but cannot run ethernet cable from upstairs router to basement.

So, I am thinking of buying a cheap old Fios router  and sticking it to the Coax that feeds the basement STB (using a splitter etc).Kind of the same setup that's going on upstairs.

Does anyone see any issue with that? Any advise is appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Adding second Fios router to get LAN ethernet in basement
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many people do what you're asking to do without a problem. See this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

View solution in original post

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Many people do what you're asking to do without a problem. See this FAQ: http://www.dslreports.com/faq/verizonfios/3.0_Networking#12506

eljefe2
Master - Level 1

JamaicaJoe008 wrote:

Hi ,

I have Fios TV+Internet. We have two STBs : 1 upstaris and 1 in basement.

The upstairs STB shares a COax with an Actiontec  router, that provides WiFi throughout the house.

Now, I am in a situation where I need LAN internet in basement, but cannot run ethernet cable from upstairs router to basement.

So, I am thinking of buying a cheap old Fios router  and sticking it to the Coax that feeds the basement STB (using a splitter etc).Kind of the same setup that's going on upstairs.

Does anyone see any issue with that? Any advise is appreciated.

You might also consider an Actiontect ECB2500 MoCA adapter.  Totally plug-and-play and it will easily give you an Ethernet connection in your basement.

JamaicaJoe008
Enthusiast - Level 1

thank you Smith and eljefe, both your comments solved my issue.

Regards,

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

You're welcome.

0 Likes