Allocating a (local/in-house) IP address and DNS entry for a cabled Ethernet printer
Flydog1

I have an MI424WR Fios modem/wireless router.  I have a laser printer connected to it using standard CAT-5 cabling.

I have tried several times to create a persistent enough IP address so that I can configure a Windows (Windows 7 and Windows 😎 printer and printer port and get it to work over time.  On ever other router I've had, I was able to configure a static IP address and configure a local DNS entry for it (which meant I could just configure printer ports looking for http://colorlaser - very easy to remember)

I think I have it working, then I leave it for a few days and the IP address evaporates and the driver stops working.  The MI424WR advanced menus are nearly indecipherable (compared to *every* other home router I've ever used) and I'm running out of curse words to use when trying to get this to work.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Flydog

(PS: I'm very impressed that your "Spell Check" refuses to recognize "Fios")

0 Likes
Re: Allocating a (local/in-house) IP address and DNS entry for a cabled Ethernet printer
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Why don't you use a static Address in the printer instead?  

Choose an IP address such at 192.168.1.50

0 Likes
Re: Allocating a (local/in-house) IP address and DNS entry for a cabled Ethernet printer
Hubrisnxs
Legend

either way will work, 

How to get the same IP assignment per device

you might have to put the dns directly in the printer, instead of from the router.   but the router can create a static dhcp assignment using the above instructions. 

0 Likes
kr1cke7

everytime i follow the instructions in the link above i lose network connectivity every few minutes on my machine... anyone else run into this or have any ideas? 

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I've solved this exact issue by configuring a static DHCP lease in the router for the printer.  This way, I don't have to change any settings in the printer; which can be difficult depending on how the printer is configured.

Yes, I agree that the Actiontec router has a rather unfriendly interface.  However, it is quite powerful once you figure out where everything is hidden.

Here's the process to setup a static DHCP lease for a printer (or any other device):

• Make sure your printer is on and assigned an IP address.
  • Login to router
  • Click "My Network" in the top banner menu.
  • Click "Network Connections" in the left hand menu.
  • Click "Network (home/office)" in the Network Connections box.
  • Click "IP Address Distribution" in the Network (home/office) Properties box.  Note it is hard to notice this is a link - click on the words.
  • Click on the "Connection List" button at the bottom of the IP Address Distribution Box.
  • Locate your printer in the list.  The host-name may be something assigned by the router.
  • Click on the edit button in the Action column for the printer.  The edit button is the center icon with a pencil on it.
  • Click the "Static Lease Type" checkbox.
  • Click Apply.
  • Click the edit button for the printer's DHCP entry AGAIN.
  • Now, you can set the IP address to any value within the router's DHCP range.  You may also want to change the host name to something that make sense to you.

You can also try the "New Static Connection" at the bottom of the DHCP connection window, however I've not had much luck with it.

Good Luck!

0 Likes