Allowing access to my network
kennymac64

I have an in-home business and I would like to allow visiting clients to be able to access the internet through my wifi hardware.

But I do not want them to see my network devices (PC's, printers) for security reasons.

How do I insure that I am protected?

Thanks,

Ken

0 Likes
Re: Allowing access to my network
Hubrisnxs
Legend

I think you're going to have to get a 2nd router, and connect it to the actiontec.  reserve one of them for your use wirelessly, and the other for guests.   the actiontec doesn't have guest network profiles for wireless.

if you're situation was all hardwired and they were plugging into a switch, then you could create a vlan that would adequately seperate your networks and protect your data.    you would follow these instructions in that scenario

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/Creating_an_Ethernet_VLAN.pdf

if you end up getting a 2nd router, and doing it that way, then follow these instructions for connecting it to the FiOS router.  (you may even have a 2nd wireless lying around that you can use)

Re: Allowing access to my network
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I just set my brother up with a new Linksys Wireless LAN router that has guest access.  This , by default will place the user into a different network than your home network so guest cannot see your home network.  It also presents the user with a logon screen.  No need to touch anyones PC, just provide them the password to connect on the screen.

The nice part of this guest access is you can change the password on that SSID without affecting anyone else.

0 Likes