Annoying popups
TIMINTON
Enthusiast - Level 2
Recently my computer has been alloying popups through.  Everytime I open websites the popup opens immediately after that.  Even when I look at my email, they open.  I have set the the popup blocker to high and they still come through.  I tried the Verizon system status to check my internet and it says it needs to be fixed but when I click on the link it tells me that it is not available.  I have Norton antivirus and it says all is OK with my computer.  Where is my problem and how do I fix it?  I'm not sure if I have a virus or not.  HELP!!
0 Likes
Re: Annoying popups
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Most likely you are being hit by some nasty spyware/malware.  Annoying and plagues everyone who uses the internet, just some are extremely more annoying than others.  My best suggestion is to use the free versions of adaware and spyboy search and destroy.  They specifically target these programs and hopefully can clear out most of the garbage bogging down your machine.

http://www.lavasoft.com/ -- Adaware

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/download/index.html -- Spybot

Both are free, though they ask to donate or buy another version, but have won numerous awards and have been proven to both be excellent at finding this stuff that weasels its way onto your machine just to annoy you to wits end.

Try them out and let me know how it goes, make sure to check for updates if you install them.

prisaz
Legend
Get rid of Norton. Try Avast Antivirus, and the other spyware removal tools that DzWr posted links to. Avast is free for home use and will work for a limited time without a key. A key will be given for a years use just by providing your information on the registration page. If you do not subscribe to Norton and even if you do, it may not provide the best protection. I have had some malware and viruses that were tough to clean unless the machine was booted in safe mode. Fake Antivirus 2008 was a nasty one. Not actually Antivirus software at all, but a nasty bug hard to clean unless the PC is in safe mode.
Message Edited by prisaz on 03-23-2009 09:28 PM
cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3

while you are at it, it cannot hurt (and you may find that it helps) to also search for root kits IN SAFE MODE.

cjacobs001
Contributor - Level 3
something obviously is happening on your computer and if you have updated norton and ran recent scans, I would say that you probably are infected (which is not an uncommon thing), so, either you need to do all the above things to first 'discover' what is causing the issue, then fix it, or you need to have someone else look at it for the fix.      -Have you looked at your running processes to see what is running that may be causing this?
0 Likes
TIMINTON
Enthusiast - Level 2
Well after trying to get spybot installed and performing a scan, there was several bad things that popped up.  When I went to fix the 255 problems found, it could only fix about half.of them but it did let me know where the problems were so that I coul uninstall some of the corrupt software.  Everytime that I shut the computer down and start it up, spybot lets me know that there is still something wrong but my popups have stopped after multiple scans with spybot.  I really do not know a lot about computers and I really like to thank all of you for sending me in the right direction. Again thankyou.  As for Norton.  I got on line to talk with a technician at Norton and wow what a waste of time.  I asked him why when I scan my system mutiple times and in safe mode does it tell me all is good, but when I use other software there is a whole list of problems that need to be fixed.  He really did not have a whole lot to say.  I had done the same things that they had recommended over the past week or two and nothing seemed to work.
0 Likes
DzWR
Contributor - Level 1

Glad you are pinpointing where the problems are.  I have nothing against Norton, though some people do.  To each their own.  But you have to go into this remembering there is NOTHING out there that can get everything.  That is why I gave you a couple of options to use.  I will get different results from different programs just because there is so much garbage out there that can latch itself onto your computer. 

One program to rule them all?  Never.

One thing I have noticed is Norton was primarily a Anti-Virus.  Most of the companies that have been doing Anti-virus software for awhile have started putting together a Suite of programs to help your computer that include Firewalls, Spyware removal etc.  Yes, these companies are good with Anti-virus but I find them lacking in the Spyware department (which spybot focuses on).  I would rather like a couple of programs that specifically go out and remove spyware and that is all they focus on doing.

Glad to help.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

Yea I really shouldn't be so tough on Norton. But Really Peter has not done anything since the 80s and the use of Peter Nortons name really doesn't make it better. I have used various versions of Anti-spyware software. Yes not everthing finds everything but these three find most. It may in the long run be better to back up the files you want to save and then reload the OS if you can't be sure everything is clean.

I run Spybot Search and Destroy with the resident portion protecting me from anything that may want to change things in the system without me knowing about it. This process that runs is called teatimer and sits in your system tray.

Ad-Aware from Lavasoft http://www.lavasoft.com/

Spybot Search and Destroy. http://www.safer-networking.org/en/home/index.html

Malewarebytes http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Good luck and I hope your get it all clean.

Message Edited by prisaz on 03-25-2009 08:14 PM
0 Likes