Apple Airport products and Verizon Fios
WillyB88

Ok, so I have been trying to get my Airport Extreme and Express to work with my new fios service for about 5hours now. incrediably frustrating becasue with my old service provider it took about 5min. 

Here is what i need to do. 

extend the network using my airport extreme. I need to wirelessly print and use it in my office which is far away from the Verizon MI24WR router. cords are not an option. I need this to be wireless. 

I also need to extend my network downstairs to my airport express in order to use itunes to wirelessly listen to music on my speakers. 

I have tried other things described in message boards but I need both the extreme and express to be wirelessly connected to the verizon router. Is this possible and if so how! Please explain in the simplest of terms. 

I am beyond frustrated! PLEASE HELP!

0 Likes
Re: Apple Airport products and Verizon Fios
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Step 1- Login to your FiOS router (192.168.1.1) and change the wireless security mode from WEP to WPA2.   (Select Wireless Security, Advanced Security, then WPA2 and create a network key/password of at least 8 characters).  Apply/Save the settings.

Step 2 - Use the Airport Utility to login to your Express/Extreme (I don't have one, I have a Time Capsule, but it should be roughly the same) and select Manual Setup. 

Step 3 - In the Wireless section, select "Extend a Network" (not create a network) and then select the name of the Wireless network from the Vz router from the dropdown and provide the key indicating that it's a WPA2 network.

Should get you going in the right direction.

0 Likes
WillyB88

everything was going great until I selected "extend the network"

When I did that it told me that the network could not be extended. 

any other ideas would be greatly appreiated! Thanks

0 Likes
WillyB88

lasagna,

I got the express to work after switching some settings around. Now I cannot get the extreme to "extend the network" it says it is not able to extend. I am not sure why this is the case. I have tried virtually everything. 

thanks for the help. 

0 Likes