Backboard for basement concrete wall
47th1
I just ordered FiOS triple play and want the installation in my basement. I only have concrete walls. Should I install a backboard? (There one for electrical but no extra room)

If so, what's the spec for a brand new installation with triple play?
0 Likes
Re: Backboard for basement concrete wall
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

A backboard is recommended, although the technician may have one. Generally the dimensions of the backboard depend on what ONT you're going to receive, along with whether or not the splitter and/or the router and any power strips may be mounted.

If you can find out the model of ONT being used in your area, that should help with the dimensions.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

A 1 x 2 ft board is big enough for any ONT that would be mounted. Make sure you have an electrical outlet near the mounting location.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Another note is that you should attempt to make the mounting point for the ONT be located near your electrical panel, which should also be located neat your home's common ground. Verizon will likely need to use a ground per a ruling in New York State. Your home's telephone wiring and Coaxial cabling (For Cable companies) should also be entering near this point.

Doing that will make the technician's life much easier.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

If it's any help, here's what the backboard I installed when I got FiOS looks like:

0 Likes
CRobGauth
Community Leader
Community Leader

Intersting that it appears your power supply is hardwired to your box?

Don't see an outlet that it is plugged in to.

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

My backboard is right next to the electrical panel.

0 Likes
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

@CRobGauth wrote:

Intersting that it appears your power supply is hardwired to your box?

Don't see an outlet that it is plugged in to.

Yes, the power supply is hardwired to the ONT, although you can pop open the cover on the power supply and unplug the battery if need be.

The power cord from the power supply is white, snakes under our circuit breaker panel, and is plugged into the outlet to the right of the CB panel.

0 Likes
47th2
OK. I got FiOS installed and the guy couldn't use the board I prepared based on comments here.

The actual backboard he installed was 17W x 26L
0 Likes