Best modem and router for 75/75 speeds? No Fios TV
corvette42

Looking for the best router and modem for speeds of 75/75 but I'll probably upgrade in the future so I might as well get a great router and modem now. Needs to have a huge range and handle 5-6 devices at the same time. I dont have Fios TV so I wont have issues with losing tv features.

0 Likes
Re: Best modem and router for 75/75 speeds? No Fios TV
Sean3040-2
Enthusiast - Level 3

Fios Quatum Router
$9.99 month or $199.99 one time

Or $6.99 if before Jan 17 2015

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

FiOS does not use modems.

The Actiontec rev I, or "Advanced Router" as Verizon calls it, works well for 75Mbps, especially over wired connections.  It is a single band, 802.11n device with GigE ports.  If you want faster 802.11ac WiFi and dual band WiFi, then you'll want the new Quantum router.  It too has GigE ports.

If you are Internet only, you can use any router you want.  Have the ONT configured for Ethernet by the installer or by contacting Verizon support later.  If you use a non-Verizon router, be aware that Verizon will provide zero support for any and all issues.  So keep a Verizon router around for troubleshooting.

This FAQ is helpful:

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

The best place to purchase an Actiontec is here:

http://www.verizon.com/fiosaccessories

Enjoy.

0 Likes
corvette42

I have phones and internet. I have the Rev I and its horrible, it has more drops then the Jets and thats saying alot. So just run a cat 5 or 6 cable to my new router and im golden??

0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're having problems with WiFi connections on the rev I, that could be due to many factors.  It is a decent WiFi AP, but not the most powerful.  You may want to figure out what is wrong so you don't have similar issues with another router.

If you're having problems with the Ethernet connection on the rev I, that is unusual.  It has been rock solid for myself and many other users.  Its possible the router is damaged.

If your ONT is currently configured for Ethernet WAN, then yes, you can plug in any router you want and it should work.  Be sure to release the WAN IP address on your old router before disconnecting it or you'll have to wait two hours before the new router can get an IP address.  If you need help using a non-Verizon router, consult the FAQ I posted, post here or in the dslreprots FiOS forum.  Verizon will provide zero, zilch and nada support when a non-Verizon router is used.

If your ONT is currently configured for MoCA (coax) WAN, you'll need to call or chat with Verizon to switch to Ethernet.  The process takes a few minutes.  You'll need to run an Ethernet cable from the ONT to your router.  Don't forget about releasing the WAN IP address.

Good Luck.