Buffering, speed reduction when on different floor than router. How to solve?
Sverige1
Hi. We have the newest N router and whatever super speed package offered. Things are fabulous unless I'm in the basement, one level below the router. When working in the basement (wireless thru VPN) my laptop performance is generally fine. However when streaming live tv via the Fios app or a movie via the Amazon app on my iPad, it buffers constantly. This occurs even when no other devises are accessing the wireless network. I'd like to figure out how to boost the speed when in the basement. Any suggestions? Be gentle, I'm not very techy :). Thanks!
0 Likes
Re: Buffering, speed reduction ... on different floor ... - Some Ideas
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Sverige wrote:
...  We have the newest N router ... Things are fabulous unless I'm in the basement, one level below the router ... when streaming live tv ... or a movie ... , it buffers constantly ... I'd like to figure out how to boost the speed when in the basement ...

Several issues are at work here.

First, trying to get a good signal when the receiving device is below the radio is a problem.  For details, do a basic search on wireless propagation.  Second, the farther you are from the transmitting radio (i.e., the router), the poorer the signal.  Simple propagation physics.

Third,  you haven't indicated your speed tier and it's possible that increasing your  Internet speed may help.  Fourth, see if you can run Ethernet (or even coax) to the basement area.  This will allow either a direct connection or a second router with wireless capability.

Based on your statement of the problem, the above routes appear to give the best chance to improve your situation.

Re: Buffering, speed reduction when on different floor than router. How to solve?
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Sverige wrote:
Hi. We have the newest N router and whatever super speed package offered. Things are fabulous unless I'm in the basement, one level below the router. When working in the basement (wireless thru VPN) my laptop performance is generally fine. However when streaming live tv via the Fios app or a movie via the Amazon app on my iPad, it buffers constantly. This occurs even when no other devises are accessing the wireless network. I'd like to figure out how to boost the speed when in the basement. Any suggestions? Be gentle, I'm not very techy :). Thanks!

Typically your ont will be in the basement so the coax feed will be there.  You could just bridge a 2nd moca (coax) router down there by using a splitter in the wiring feed that goes to the current router location.  Or if you have coax connectors down there that are active just connect the second device to that.

0 Likes