Buffering that shouldn't be happening
wawa1
Enthusiast - Level 3

I am paying extra for Verizon FIOS 35MB Internet access but Im finding that often

movies I watch on Amazon Prime and even HBOGO stop and start as though buffering is taking place. Somehow I feel that this should not be happening. Am I wrong?

Does anyone have a clue to why this is happening and what I can do to stop it?

Thanks.

0 Likes
Re: Buffering that shouldn't be happening
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Definetely shouldn't be happening, can you tell us if you are wired or wireless, and what your speedtest results are at http://speedtest.verizon.net (remember to click on show analysis and paste those results here too)

0 Likes
wawa1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Thanks.

I did the Verizon speed test using my wirelessly-connected laptop in the living room where the TV is. I have Logitech Revue connected and the Revue has a built-in wireless adapter and connects wirelessly to my wireless network. The Verizon speed test showed download speed of 21MPS, not the 35MPS I'm paying for. Maybe I ought to hard wire the Revue to my Verizon Actiontec router. That is an option. The Revue has an Ethernet port. That will require me running about 25 feet of cable down through the floor where my router is, into my crawl space and under my living room and up to the TV. Don't really see whay I should have to do this, though.

0 Likes
wawa1
Enthusiast - Level 3

Her are the cut and pasted results of a second test I just ran:

Broadband Speed Test Speed Test for the North East region We have finished your connection speed test for NY - New York. Your download speed is 23.083 Mbps. Your upload speed is 8.039 Mbps. Let us check your current Verizon Internet speed package. Your connection speed test has finished. You can review test details here.
0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Doesn't look like 35/35.  More like maybe 25/25.  NOTEt the upload test doesn't report very accurate speed unless you run their FIOS Speed optimizer.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

You should definetely hardwire it.  

But if you want to play with the wireless channels, that will help lessen interference.   If you're wireless and getting those speeds, then I am pretty confident you are just running into some wifi interference locally.

you can change that in the router.   open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

0 Likes
eljefe
Enthusiast - Level 3

@wawa wrote:

Maybe I ought to hard wire the Revue to my Verizon Actiontec router. That is an option. The Revue has an Ethernet port. That will require me running about 25 feet of cable down through the floor where my router is, into my crawl space and under my living room and up to the TV. Don't really see whay I should have to do this, though.

If you want to get hardwire performance and consistency there's another choice besides running that 25' of Ethernet cable.  Using the coax already running to your TV you can use a simple coax 1-to-2 splitter to feed coax to your TV and also to a MoCA adapter, and a short Ethernet patch cable between the MoCA adapater and the Ethernet port on your Revue.

See this link for the MoCA adapter I'm talking about:   http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=192

It's plug-and-play....no configuration required.   I'm using one to feed Internet service to devices in the middle of our house and it's been solid as the proverbial rock.