Can I run coax to my computer before my FiOS install date?
BobbyScott

I am scheduled to have FiOS  Internet service installed in about a week. I do not have CAT5 or coax cable at my current computer location. Will Verizon run the cable for free? My current phone box is just outside of my garage and my computer is located in a room over the garage, approximately 40-50 ft. away. Is it safe to  assume that the new FiOS box will go on the inside of my garage near the same location it is now? If so, I can run coax to my computer location before Verizon arrives. Is that advisable or is it best to wait for the Verizon technician to **bleep** the situation. My concern is I don't want to pay to have the cable installed and I don't want to have to wait for the technician to return after I run the cabling.

Any advice?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: Can I run coax to my computer before my FiOS install date?
Hubrisnxs
Legend

as long as its rg6  and your splitters should be 1000mhz and higher.   yes you can 

0 Likes
Re: Can I run coax to my computer before my FiOS install date?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Do you cable TV as well?   Does it enter near the same location?   Is so, that's a pretty good bet for where they will place the box since if you subscribe to FiOS TV or FiOS phone service, they need to be near that location in order to move the cables over to the ONT.  They will also be looking to place it near where they can internally mount the battery backup / power brick and get it plugged in.

The trick here will be however making sure you run RG6 grade cable rated for digital signals and properly terminate it.  

This may or may not be included as part of the service -- although I've heard stories that depending on what's required in order to setup the connection, different "installation" crews have to be dispatched and so the wrong type of technician could conceivably be set out on the first visit -- so having everything ready to go is certainly one way to minimize that possibility.