Can I use a non-FiOS modem for secondary ethernet from FiOS coax
bob0099
Enthusiast - Level 1

I intend to set up a home theater PC to connect to a TV located in a different room from the current FiOS modem/router (Actiontec MI424). I may use an HTPC 'extender' in the room with the TV, connected by HDMI.  However the Ceton Echo extender requires a direct ethernet connection, CAT5 I think.  What I'm considering in a few months, when my Verizon contract is up, is to drop all service except high speed internet from Verizon.  Then I could use the coax currently connected to the TV instead to connect to a modem or MoCA device which would output CAT5 ethernet to the HTPC extender.

I am not knowledgeable about ethernet and TV signals.  From what I can gather, a MoCA connection is preferable to a powerline network and maybe even better than running a long CAT5/CAT6 cable from room to room, which I don't want to do.  There is an Actiontec MoCA device available that claims to 'convert' from coax cable internet input to ethernet output.  Would this work to supply the Ceton extender using the FiOS coax that currently supplies TV signals to my Verizon set-top box?

Even more preferable to me, I currently have an unused Zoom cable modem/router that is Docsis 3.0 certified and which worked well for Charter internet supplied by coax.  It is less than 2 years old.  Could I simply use this Zoom modem with the second FiOS coax in the living room, instead of buying a new MoCA device?  That would mean I would be simultaneously using two coax-connected modems for ethernet: the Verizon-supplied Actiontec and my own Zoom modem/router.   If not, what is different about the MoCA device vs. what a cable modem does?

I think what I don't understand is whether there is a difference in the signal currently available from the coax supplying the TV: is it 'normal' cable TV/internet that the Zoom modem should be able to convert to ethernet, or not?  If this is possible, would I need to have Verizon do any configuring of it?  I did try to connect it myself and was unable to make an internet connection.  How do the providers control whether you receive through the coax ethernet-only or ethernet plus TV.  I get that the phone service is just a form of VOIP managed through the Verizon ONT in the basement.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use a non-FiOS modem for secondary ethernet from FiOS coax
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

bob0099 wrote:

What I'm considering in a few months, when my Verizon contract is up, is to drop all service except high speed internet from Verizon.  Then I could use the coax currently connected to the TV instead to connect to a modem or MoCA device which would output CAT5 ethernet to the HTPC extender.

MOCA frequencies are above those used for TV and can coexist on the same coax.  All you need at the TV is a 1x2 splitter rated 1Ghz or better.  One side goes to the TV.  The other wide goes to the MOCA adapter.

bob0099 wrote:

From what I can gather, a MoCA connection is preferable to a powerline network and maybe even better than running a long CAT5/CAT6 cable from room to room, which I don't want to do. 

A cat5 connection is most preferable.  Second the MOCA.  Third is powerline networking.

bob0099 wrote:

There is an Actiontec MoCA device available that claims to 'convert' from coax cable internet input to ethernet output.  Would this work to supply the Ceton extender using the FiOS coax that currently supplies TV signals to my Verizon set-top box?

There are a number of available MOCA adapters.

What is a MOCA Bridge?

bob0099 wrote:

Even more preferable to me, I currently have an unused Zoom cable modem/router that is Docsis 3.0 certified and which worked well for Charter internet supplied by coax.  It is less than 2 years old.  Could I simply use this Zoom modem with the second FiOS coax in the living room, instead of buying a new MoCA device? 

That Zoom cable modem won't work.  MOCA and DOCSIS are two completely different technologies.

BTW, the Actiontec is NOT considered a modem.

bob0099 wrote:

How do the providers control whether you receive through the coax ethernet-only or ethernet plus TV. 

VZ can enable or disable any of three services provided by the ONT individually.

View solution in original post

Re: Can I use a non-FiOS modem for secondary ethernet from FiOS coax
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

bob0099 wrote:

What I'm considering in a few months, when my Verizon contract is up, is to drop all service except high speed internet from Verizon.  Then I could use the coax currently connected to the TV instead to connect to a modem or MoCA device which would output CAT5 ethernet to the HTPC extender.

MOCA frequencies are above those used for TV and can coexist on the same coax.  All you need at the TV is a 1x2 splitter rated 1Ghz or better.  One side goes to the TV.  The other wide goes to the MOCA adapter.

bob0099 wrote:

From what I can gather, a MoCA connection is preferable to a powerline network and maybe even better than running a long CAT5/CAT6 cable from room to room, which I don't want to do. 

A cat5 connection is most preferable.  Second the MOCA.  Third is powerline networking.

bob0099 wrote:

There is an Actiontec MoCA device available that claims to 'convert' from coax cable internet input to ethernet output.  Would this work to supply the Ceton extender using the FiOS coax that currently supplies TV signals to my Verizon set-top box?

There are a number of available MOCA adapters.

What is a MOCA Bridge?

bob0099 wrote:

Even more preferable to me, I currently have an unused Zoom cable modem/router that is Docsis 3.0 certified and which worked well for Charter internet supplied by coax.  It is less than 2 years old.  Could I simply use this Zoom modem with the second FiOS coax in the living room, instead of buying a new MoCA device? 

That Zoom cable modem won't work.  MOCA and DOCSIS are two completely different technologies.

BTW, the Actiontec is NOT considered a modem.

bob0099 wrote:

How do the providers control whether you receive through the coax ethernet-only or ethernet plus TV. 

VZ can enable or disable any of three services provided by the ONT individually.