Can I use my own duel WAN router with FiOS or do I have to use the modem/router combo they give me.
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3
I have a duel WAN router that links up to about 6 other routers on the network. Am I able to run an Internet line right from the fios box on the wall to the main router and by pass the modem/router they give me?
0 Likes
Re: Can I use my own duel WAN router with FiOS or do I have to use the modem/router combo they give
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

Do you have FIOS-TV?

If so, then you need the VZ router in some capacity to act as a MOCA bridge.

Is your VZ router connected to the ONT via coax or cat5?

If your WAN connection is cat5, then yes you can easily connect one of your routers in place of the Actiontec.

If your WAN connection is coax, you can request that VZ switch your WAN connection from coax to cat5.

Lots of options here:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

0 Likes
Re: Can I use my own duel WAN router with FiOS or do I have to use the modem/router combo they give
mutterz
Enthusiast - Level 3
It has not been installed yet but it has to be able to connect to the duel wan do I'm hoping that if I ask the installer to do it by cat5 he can. If not its not going to work. Also I'm just having Internet with phone installed.
0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Ask for a cat5 connection for internet.

Let the installer do what he wants to do with the VZ router and after he's gone release the ip address and put your router in it's place.

to release ip address

log onto router at 192.168.1.1
under My Router on main page click the broadband connection - blue world
Select the broad band connection on the full status/system wide monitoring window
select configure connection
on the dhcp lease line push the release button
select apply and then disconnect the actiontec

or
log onto router at 192.168.1.1
select system monitoring on main page
select advanced status
select Full Status/system wide monitoring
Select the broad band connection on the full status/system wide monitoring window
select configure connection
on the dhcp lease line push the release button
select apply and then disconnect the actiontec

Be aware that VZ will not offer you much support if you have issues and you are not using their hardware.