Can I use two MI424WR routers in one house?
myikul
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hello, I currently have one Fios provided router in my home but I need to move it so that the wireless signal reaches my master bedroom, which right now it doesn't, but if I were to move my router to another room I would be forced to move my computer desk and unfortunately I can't do that right now.  My question is can I acquire a second MI424WR router in which I can attach via coax cable and use it as a nonwireless router, by turning off the wireless, so I can use for internet access for my home PC that is connected via ethernet cable?  Thanks for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can I use two MI424WR routers in one house?
prisaz
Legend

@myikul wrote:

I found this online after some research:

Verizon Coaxial Network Adapter

Model #: ECB2200V

I understand that I can use this adapter to get my signal to the computer but is it possible to use another router instead?  I ask because this network adapter has only one Ethernet jack and costs almost $80.  The MI424WR routers are like $30 on ebay and have 4 ethernet ports.  The ethernet ports are important to me because I have two computers at my desk and sometimes link a third.

Yes if you only plan on using it as a MOCA bridge and switch. I would say the ones on Ebay are older and perhaps Rev, A-D and are not very good as a router with the newer speeds. Even as a WiFi access point for a second location, it might not work as well as the latest Rev. I.

Just be sure you set the DHCP to off, do not use the WAN port, and be sure to set the LAN port to a different address other that the default 192.168.1.1, which would cause conflicts with your existing router. Use a decent bi-directional splitter at the new location to split the coax.

This site may help. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

View solution in original post

myikul
Enthusiast - Level 1

I understand that I can use this adapter to get my signal to the computer but is it possible to use another router instead?  I ask because this network adapter has only one ethernet jack and costs almost $80.  The MI424WR routers are like $30 on ebay and have 4 ethernet ports.  The ethernet ports are important to me because I have two computers at my desk and sometimes link a third.

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@myikul wrote:

I understand that I can use this adapter to get my signal to the computer but is it possible to use another router instead?  I ask because this network adapter has only one Ethernet jack and costs almost $80.  The MI424WR routers are like $30 on ebay and have 4 ethernet ports.  The ethernet ports are important to me because I have two computers at my desk and sometimes link a third.

Yes if you only plan on using it as a MOCA bridge and switch. I would say the ones on Ebay are older and perhaps Rev, A-D and are not very good as a router with the newer speeds. Even as a WiFi access point for a second location, it might not work as well as the latest Rev. I.

Just be sure you set the DHCP to off, do not use the WAN port, and be sure to set the LAN port to a different address other that the default 192.168.1.1, which would cause conflicts with your existing router. Use a decent bi-directional splitter at the new location to split the coax.

This site may help. http://www.dslreports.com/faq/16077

myikul
Enthusiast - Level 1

The router solution sounds perfect.  Thanks a ton!

0 Likes
prisaz
Legend

@myikul wrote:

The router solution sounds perfect.  Thanks a ton!

One other thing to consider. The Actiontec router is going to be 10/100 on the switch. If you have multiple computers and they support it, I might even consider a gigabit Ethernet switch for faster speeds between them. Rev I. Router listed below, supports gigabit.

Verizon's newest router supports MOCA, Gigabit LAN, and Wireless N, but I believe the Wireless N is not dual channel.

$79.99. https://teleproducts.verizon.com/fios/index.cfm/eh/DisplayProducts

0 Likes