Can Receive but Can't Send Non-Verizon email
PeteLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hi, Folks -

I am having trouble sending email from non-verizon accounts (no problem receiving). This happened suddenly yesterday; previously I could do this with no problem. I have contacted the mail admins from the accounts I am trying to connect to and they report no problems on their end.

Here is the error I am getting:

Task 'Sending' reported error (0x80042109) : 'Outlook is unable to connect to your outgoing (SMTP) e-mail server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).'

Here are some troubleshooting details:

- I can send email, just can't receive

- I can ping and tracert to the mail server

- I didn’t change my password (I have had password problems in the past and the error message is typically an authentication error)

- This is happening with two mail accounts but not my Verizon acount

Tried to call Verizon but they say their office is closed, even though the hours they advertise are 8am eastern.

Thanks for any help!

Pete

0 Likes
Re: Can Receive but Can't Send Non-Verizon email
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

What port number are you using on your non-verizon email account?  Verizon is now blocking port 25.

PeteLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I was wondering about that. I am set up to send over port 25 but changed it to 587. Worked for one account, but not for the other - a small association I am a member of.

It sounds like this is something fairly straightforward but my email admin will need to set up the mail server to listen on 587, right?

Thanks for the help.

Pete

PeteLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Also thought it was strange because that change went into effect months ago and I've had no problem - I suppose it was just coincidence that they got around to blocking mine yesterday...

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

I would at least talk to your admin and let him know of the change. 

PeteLind
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yes, I'll need to since I still can't send through that account. I am just trying to make it easier on him. As it happens, we just had a change and this is his 2nd or 3rd day on the job...

thanks for the help,

Pete

0 Likes
losborne

Hi,

Just wanted to let you know I had the exact same issue - my Outlook email started NOT working yesterday (Verizon did say it would be effective for all on 6/1 in one of their emails, now that I think about it :-)).  I changed the port to 587 on all non verizon.net email accounts and it did not work for my work email.  However, I notified my work Help Desk and they changed it to another port they had working that was not Port 25.  So, I would say that, yes, you need to notify your email administrator that Port 587 is not working to send email - they will most likely have a workaround for you.

I just wanted to put that out here for any others too that may be having the same issue.

Thanks!!

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

I always use the VZ SMTP server (port 587) for outgoing mail for my non VZ mail accounts, seems to work with no issue and is actually what you are meant to do to stop mail being flagged for relaying.

For receivomg non VZ mail just set up the pop3 server to point to the non VZ server as per normal.

0 Likes
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

You should still be able to use port 25 for the Verizon SMTP outgoing mail server.

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@jumpin68ny wrote:

You should still be able to use port 25 for the Verizon SMTP outgoing mail server.

Yes, I have a machine set up that way and it still works OK.

0 Likes