Can i host small game servers? HL2/Minecraft
FrankieXenon
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi, my question here for today is, "Can i host a game server like garrys mod with verizon fios 15/5?". I would like to host a server with 10 people at max. The server wont be on for 24/7 just on the weekends and sometimes on the week days. Is it against the rules to host a server for verizon fios internet? But if it is against the rule, will these small server still effect the bandwidth by a lot that my internet is going to have to get cut off? I also sometimes host minecraft server for just my friend and I, which is about 7 people max. 

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can i host small game servers? HL2/Minecraft
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're hosting a server from your home, this is against the Terms of Service, but it is no different than what an Xbox or a PlayStation game console does when you play in a party online. Consoles tend to not use dedicated servers, but instead rely on other gamers having reachable consoles to host the games.

In reality, as long as you're not A: making money of the servers, and B: provoking high data usage (aka running maxed in one or both directions 24/7 because of the server), or C: encouraging/provoking DDoS attacks, Verizon really shouldn't care. If recent news is any indication on what the right thing is, Google with their Gigabit Fiber product just came out with a new Terms of Service agreement stating residents are allowed to host servers so long as it's not commercial. Also, always-on servers are more of a concern than the on and off game server used to host a game from a residential connection.

View solution in original post

logan81
Contributor - Level 3
To host any server you need to have a static IP address. To have a static IP you have to have a business account which is more expensive. So no but it is not for lack of speed. Back in my COD4 clan days we all paid clan fees to pay for a server hosted by some company. That would probably be cheaper than upgrading to a business account anyways. I can't imagine a minecraft server for 10 people would be that expensive
0 Likes
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Technically, servers are prohibited by the TOS.  The use you describe will probably fall under the radar, however don't come back and complain if you get caught.

As for the IP address, you don't need a static IP.  Most FiOS users IP addresses never change for months or more.  Since you're giving a small group of people access to your server, you can give them your current IP address.  It is extremely unlikely that it will change over a weekend.

You'd only want a static IP if you're setting up a full-time server with a domain name that many, many people use.  At that point you'd definitely get flagged for a TOS violation.

I haven't looked at how much bandwidth a Minecraft server needs per user.  My guess is it's not that high compared with a typical FiOS link.  You can use the "advanced statistics" menu in router to monitor bandwidth.  Windows Task Manager or Resource Monitor are great ways to monitor bandwidth at a specific computer.

Enjoy.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@logan8 wrote:
To host any server you need to have a static IP address. To have a static IP you have to have a business account which is more expensive. So no but it is not for lack of speed. Back in my COD4 clan days we all paid clan fees to pay for a server hosted by some company. That would probably be cheaper than upgrading to a business account anyways. I can't imagine a minecraft server for 10 people would be that expensive

You don't need a static IP address, just a static dns name.  that can be accomplised by using a dynamic dns service.

logan81
Contributor - Level 3
Or you could pay a small fee to have a company host a server and never have to worry about it disconnecting you. It is just one of those things that if it is important to you to not have interuption while in game then it is worth the money to pay. you can do as the others have said. your IP may last for a month or it may last for a day or a few hours. If you don't mind the risk then go for it
FrankieXenon
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have been hosting a minecraft server for my friends over a year now without noticing that its against the rules. I have not received calls from verizon "yet". Also how do i know if im using too much bandwith from hosting server for them to know that im hosting a server?

0 Likes
PJL
Master - Level 3

@FrankieXenon wrote:

I have been hosting a minecraft server for my friends over a year now without noticing that its against the rules. I have not received calls from verizon "yet". Also how do i know if im using too much bandwith from hosting server for them to know that im hosting a server?

You've kept under the radar because you're usage bandwidth is low enough.  Verizon has been getting more aggressive in identifying "servers" on the non-business plans. 

But regardless,  it's agains the terms of service and a violation of the service contract.  I'm just sayin'...

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

If you're hosting a server from your home, this is against the Terms of Service, but it is no different than what an Xbox or a PlayStation game console does when you play in a party online. Consoles tend to not use dedicated servers, but instead rely on other gamers having reachable consoles to host the games.

In reality, as long as you're not A: making money of the servers, and B: provoking high data usage (aka running maxed in one or both directions 24/7 because of the server), or C: encouraging/provoking DDoS attacks, Verizon really shouldn't care. If recent news is any indication on what the right thing is, Google with their Gigabit Fiber product just came out with a new Terms of Service agreement stating residents are allowed to host servers so long as it's not commercial. Also, always-on servers are more of a concern than the on and off game server used to host a game from a residential connection.

Shockabuku
Enthusiast - Level 1

@logan8 wrote:

This is incorrect.  A static IP address is not necesary to host a server.  A static IP address is needed to allow consistent access to a server by directly typing in its IP address, but who does that?  As long as you have a Fully Qualified Domain Name (www.examplename.com) there are many options to dynamically monitor and match your ever-changing verizon-assigned IP address to your static (constant) domain name.  It is called dynaic DNS resolution.  You install a small daemon (program) on your server and it monitors your IP address.  When it changes it updates the DNS entry.  It works great.

I just thought I would clear that up, having a dynamic IP address does NOT mean you cannot host a server.

As far as servers being against the TOS of verizon.  That's another thing.  Then you get into the question of what defines a server.  In the simplest sense, every computer is a server in that it "serves" data to other computers.  There are many, many programs that run on typical, consumer PC that "serve" information to multiple machines at once: torrents, games, VPNs, it goes on and on.  Put another way, I run a web server, not through verizon, but it gets almost not traffic, nn the other hand, when I host a game of of this or that, I'm streaming loads more data out to multiple users and at a rate and quantity that dwarfs the traffic from my "web server" or "VPN" server.

Now I just saw the last post above mine.  Very well put indeed.  That is the "reality" of what hosting a server would be like.  Very good reply above.

So, do you see how the term server can be so subjective.  So, the burden of proof falls on verizon to show that you violated the the TOS.  Would it be worth the money to prove it?

No, the whole point is to drive you to purchase a business plan from them.  That's all.  Dont sweat it.  Get DynDNS, and have a blast!\

Matt

Shockabuku
Enthusiast - Level 1

========
The first to bring me 1Gbps Fiber for $30/m wins!

I love it!

0 Likes