Can't enter password in Wireless Router web page
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

I opened my wireless router web page at http://192.168.1.1/ and it has fields for user name and password. I can enter my usert name with no problem, but as soon as I enter anything in the password field it shows extra characters and it always fails. I even copied and pasted my password in the field but it still added extra characters and I could not do anything else except close the page.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Can't enter password in Wireless Router web page
PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some of the posts were helpful, but what I really needed to do was a hardware reset of the router, so I could get to the default setup page when I clicked on the link. I was surprised that I had to do this because I had powered down the router overnight and at one point I also did a hardware reset, but maybe I didn't wait the full 10 seconds. I actually found my installation guide and it showed what to do.

There was no mention of a username of "admin" or default password of "password" or "password1".

Also I am still puzzled why entering the password sometimes causes two or three extra characters and sometimes the key deletes some characters. I read that this is normal but I've never seen it before. Is this some new security measure?

View solution in original post

Justin46
Legend

@PaulAndMuttley wrote:

I opened my wireless router web page at http://192.168.1.1/ and it has fields for user name and password. I can enter my usert name with no problem, but as soon as I enter anything in the password field it shows extra characters and it always fails. I even copied and pasted my password in the field but it still added extra characters and I could not do anything else except close the page.

Search is your friend Smiley Very Happy Just search here for "router" and "password" and you will find many posts on this very subject, with the answer to your question.

Keller, TX 76248

PaulAndMuttley
Enthusiast - Level 3

Some of the posts were helpful, but what I really needed to do was a hardware reset of the router, so I could get to the default setup page when I clicked on the link. I was surprised that I had to do this because I had powered down the router overnight and at one point I also did a hardware reset, but maybe I didn't wait the full 10 seconds. I actually found my installation guide and it showed what to do.

There was no mention of a username of "admin" or default password of "password" or "password1".

Also I am still puzzled why entering the password sometimes causes two or three extra characters and sometimes the key deletes some characters. I read that this is normal but I've never seen it before. Is this some new security measure?

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

@PaulAndMuttley wrote:

the default userid is admin, the default password is password so after a reset to factory settings that is what they will be. 

The installer typically changes the password to password1

The extra characters are a simplistic approach ty try and hide from an over the shoulder viewer how many characters are in your password.  It always adds extra asterisks, just igonre them.

lojano

i dont now the password for i could us at my wireless phone

0 Likes