Can't use newsgroups / login to news.verizon.net w/ FiOS account?
funupterzoid

Trying over and over to figure out how the newsgroup thing is supposed to work with VZ.

Everything says it's pretty simple - our account username/PW is just supposed to work with news.verizon.net, but it doesn't - authentication error.

If I go to www.verizon.net it doesn't work there either but there's buttons that say "click here if you're a FiOS customer and need to register for a username..." but then THE NEXT THING IT WANTS IS FOR ME TO LOGIN. WHICH I CAN'T DO, DUH. BECAUSE THAT'S WHY I'M ON THE SITE AND CLICKING THE PROMPTS - WHICH SAY THEY'LL RESULT IN ME HAVING A USERNAME/PW. BUT THEY WANT ME TO USE MY USERNAME/PW FIRST!  

Obviously I've tried my verizon.com FiOS account password (which works here fine...) a million times but it says those do not exist over there...

Does ANYBODY understand how this is supposed to work?  Thanks in advance...  

Oh yeah and on unrelated topic the "Ask Verizon" window is totally broken of course, just takes you to a FAIL window with a button that says "Back" but does nothing...  Grrrr frustrations rising...

0 Likes
Re: Can't use newsgroups / login to news.verizon.net w/ FiOS account?
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader
While I am not on FIOS, I did a little testing..

This is what I found out:

#1 For Internet Service there is an user name and password.

#2 For Phone service there is an user name and password.

#3 And the user name and password for both are not the same..

--

Try going to http://start.verizon.net/

Click on register now.

Do you see, the first screen will ask you which product you purchased from Verizon Online?

Select FIOS, in your case and click next.

These are the choices.

Activate FiOS® Service
Configure additional PC or reinstall software

If you click on Configure additional PC or reinstall software, and you have forgot your password. Click on Forget your password, and enter in your Verizon E-Mail Address.

--

If you are sure you do not have one, I believe you would click on Activate FiOS® Service. Then you enter in the phone number and zip code.
0 Likes
spacedebrisR
Contributor - Level 1

correct. verizon systems all have their own username and passwords

verizon.com is billing ONLY.

verizon.net is internet ONLY

the news groups are are verizon.net. so use your verizon.net username/password.  Same as your email.

then use a good news group client, something like AGENT or similar. and the server info is news.verizon.net

0 Likes
iheartfios123
Enthusiast - Level 3
Are you trying to log in with a primary or sub-acct?  I know when sub-accts are created therer is a question if the username wants to have newsgroup access...
0 Likes