Cannot access doodle.com with FiOS Internet
RandBarthel

I have FiOS internet in my house, and mostly it works well. But certain websites, like Doodle (a polling tool at www.doodle.com) are inaccessible.  No matter which computer or browser I use, I cannot reach www.doodle.com. I often have trouble getting www.salon.com as well. The only way I can reach Doodle from my home is to turn off wi-fi on my smartphone and go through the Verizon Wireless cell network instead.

Does Verizon have a grudge against Doodle or Salon??

There are no useful support options or categories on Verizon's website, and they have camouflaged the support phone numbers so cleverly that I have not been able to find them.  Using Verizon's support website is a Kafka-esque experience of wandering endlessly without ever finding what you are looking for. The only reason I put up with Verizon is that my only alternative is ComCast.

0 Likes
Re: Cannot access doodle.com with FiOS Internet
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

Welcome to the forums!

I'm able to access doodle.com without any issue here in suburban Philly.

I don't use Verizon's DNS servers. It's possible Verizon's DNS servers aren't translating the URL correctly.

I use OpenDNS to provide household level filtering (teenagers....).  OpenDNS can be used without an account and without filtering.  Check them out at http://www.opendns.com/

You could also try Google's DNS serves.  Just, um, "google" it.

You can change DNS servers in the computers or in the router (i.e. for the whole house).  Start with the computer to test.  If you don't know how, post again and I or other users can explain.

Enjoy,

0 Likes
Telcoguru
Master - Level 1

Both sites are working fine in Queens, NY and I am using Verizon's DNS servers.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Both sites work here on Verizon DSL in NY.

Are you getting an error message from your web browser?

0 Likes
dslr595148
Community Leader
Community Leader

As to what happened (or is happening)

I point you to http://www.dslreports.com/shownews/Why-Youre-Having-Problems-Reaching-DSLReports-and-Other-Sites-130...

and to http://www.renesys.com/2014/08/internet-512k-global-routes/

There was minor consternation in Internet engineering circles today, as the number of IPv4 networks worldwide briefly touched another magic “power of 2″ size limit. As it turns out, 512K (524,288 to be exact, or 2-to-the-19th power) is the maximum number of routes supported by the default TCAM configuration on certain aging hardware platforms. st.
0 Likes
RandBarthel

I tried both OpenDNS and Google Public DNS, and neither of them enabled me to resolve doodle.com. They did make surfing the Web noticeably faster, so I am sticking with Google DNS for the moment.  At some point I will reconfigure my cable modem/router to use Google DNS and see if that helps at all.  I am not optimistic. I think Verizon just has a blind spot when it comes to Doodle, or is filtering it out for some reason.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Try leaving your router off overnight and then turn it back on in the morning. I wonder if this is a case where the site cannot load due to a routing issue. Chances are good that the problem is not DNS if you've tried a few providers already and all of them are exhiting a similar failure.

0 Likes