Cannot connect to FIOS Wireless Router
gj-sl

I had FIOS installed 4-6 weeks ago.  I was able to connect wirelessly with PC's, IPods, etc..  Then all of a sudden the connection termianted and I cannot connect any device. I have tried resetting the router and amny other things with no success.  Router is an Actiontec.  I can log on to it and it looks fine.  I can also see it clearly on all of my devices but not logon.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
Re: Cannot connect to FIOS Wireless Router
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Log into your router, click on "wireless settings" and tell use what you see ...

Radio Enabled = Yes

SSID = Some string  (this is what you connect to from the clients)

Channel=0  (this could be a number also from 1-11)

Securiy Enabled = Yes

Of the next three, I believe the default is:  Wep 64-bit (and it will show you a password -- this is what you need to config on the clients to gain access)

SSID Broadcast = Yes (yes, you can turn it off, but it really doesn't gain you much and actually breaks some devices which will only bind if they can see the SSID broadcast)

MAC Authentication = No  (yes will give more security, but you better know what you're doing and if you do it wrong, you will lock yourself off the wireless network)

Wireless-Mode = b/g (you could probably select g-only if you have all G devices, but let's go with the lowest common demoninator for the moment)

If you don't see the password on the first screen, click into the "BasicSettings" page and you'll see it there.   You need to go into this page if you need to change anything else as well.

0 Likes
VZ_Frank
Contributor - Level 2

To add to what lasagna said, as far as the channel setting it will default to automatic.  If you do change the setting only change it to 1,6,or 11. 

0 Likes
gj-sl

The only thing different than what you stated was the channel number.  It is set to automatic.  Should I change it to a  static number or leave it to search for an open space?

0 Likes
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

You can start with automatic ...  however, sometimes the router will choose a frequency that it thinks is good (because of where it's sitting) but in reality is bad because where the clients are located it might be full of interference.   So, if automatic doesn't work, you can choose a fixed frequency --- starting with channels 1, 6, and 11 -- until you find one which gives the best results.

0 Likes