Cisco VPN Client not working at home
drbozai
Enthusiast - Level 2

I bring my Work laptop which has Cisco VPN Client installed thats works at the office.  I can't seem to get the VPN connected when I'm at home (wired & wireless), and can't access my network drives.  My VPN trasnport settings are as follows:

I spoke with Verizon and we tried DMZ for my work laptop (and port forwarding), and nothing worked.  I suppose this is a Verizon fios router issue since it works over at my office.  Please help if you have any experience with this.  Thanks!

Tags (3)
0 Likes
Re: Cisco VPN Client not working at home
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

I use the Cisco "Any Connect" VPN client to connect to my company's network without any difficulty.  I have FiOS and an Actiontec rev I router.  I didn't have to set anything up; it just works.

You might want to check with your company's IT department.  They might have some suggestions based on how they have the VPN setup.

Good Luck.

0 Likes
Re: Cisco VPN Client not working at home
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Second talking to your IT department. In most cases with the old Cisco VPN Client, and this is with my own experience, you could resolve 99% of the connection issues by switching the VPN client to use IPSec over TCP. This adds additional overhead and can cause a slight performance decrease, but in cases that I've dealt with such as shoddy Hotel networks, it's helped.

Otherwise, make sure the problem isn't due to a bad path between you and your company's VPN Gateway. Your IT department should be able to help diagnose this. Otherwise, also make sure your router's Firewall is not turned up too high. If this is set to anything higher than Low, you can run into problems where specific applications won't work. You can check this by going to http://192.168.1.1/ and after logging in using the username of admin and the password being the router's serial number, click on the "Firewall" option in the navigation. While you're here, check to see if any options for "VPN Passthrough" or "ALG" shows up under Advanced. You may wish to toggle IPSec ALG on or off to see if this makes a difference. It's usually best to keep ALG off.

0 Likes