Cisco router now useless?
jonesyg27
Enthusiast - Level 2

I just switched to FIOS 15/5 from cable and was given the Actiontec Rev C. This is a 802.11g wireless router, which I consider a step down from the Cisco-Linksys E1000 802.11n router I was using. I wasn't home when it was installed and I probably wouldn't have accepted it. Is my Cisco now useless or can I still use it with the Actiontec? Or should I demand a better router? I don't necessarily care about better speed per se, but the performance of multiple devices connected at the same time with minimal inteference from other stuff like microwaves, phones or neighbors.

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Cisco router now useless?
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

There are a number of options if you want to run your own router.

You can review the options here:

What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations

View solution in original post

Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

Connect your Linksys behind the VZ router and then connect all your devices to it  and just use the VZ router as a gateway.  If you don't have fios tv you can abandon the VZ router totally and replace it with the Linksys.

I have ny home internal network running a different subnet on a Dlink router connected by the WAN port of the Dlink to a LAN port of the VZ router.

0 Likes
jonesyg27
Enthusiast - Level 2

@Anti-Phish wrote:

Thank you for that link. The instructions seem very clear for all of the options.