CmdVBS error message
GreatGatsby

Add me to the list of those who have uninstalled In Home Agent and still get the same annoying message! Can we please have some help, Verizon?

0 Likes
Re: CmdVBS error message
Anthony_VZ
Master - Level 3

We can take a look at what visual basic script is trying to run. I have sent you a private message to get more information from you.

0 Likes
gstake

Same here!  Very annoying popup at start up. Tried all the usual suggestions, so far.  Is there a working resolution yet????

0 Likes
jeffh49

I am having the same problem.

The script reads:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Program Files (x86)\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\bin\Restart.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

0 Likes
wspollack
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get the same Notepad opening, about once a day, for the last several weeks. The file is C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\CmdVBS.vbs, and its contents are:

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
WshShell.Run chr(34) & "C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\bin\Restart.bat" & Chr(34), 0
Set WshShell = Nothing

Windows Vista Home Premium, and the PC is left running 24X365.

0 Likes
tns
Master - Level 2

Make sure to delete other verizon pieces that show up as installed programs.  I forget the name but there is at least one other left after the basic uninstall.

If anything is left just delete the directory C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter

wspollack
Enthusiast - Level 1

tns, et al.,

I've discovered a few things, particularly that an uninstall does not do a good job. Here are some details:

1) Using the Control Panel's Programs and Features, I did an uninstall of the Verizon Message Center a few days ago.

2) I've rebooted several times since then.

3) I continued to get CmdVBS.vbs files created, one a day. (I've been renaming them as they appear, e.g., C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\CmdVBS-001.vbs, CmdVBS-002.vbs, etc. I was getting one per day of these files, between 10AM and 3PM. (I'd show you a picture of the directory listing, but this forum doesn't seem to support uploads.)

4) I was reluctant to delete the directory C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter - deleting this after the "official" uninstall shouldn't have been necessary -  although I did attempt to change its name; that didn't work (I kept getting "retry" messages).

5) So, eventually - today - I ran Process Explorer ( http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx ), and did a search for "Verizon" (no quotes) among running processes. Sure enough, it turned up C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter\Bin\Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe.

6) I ran Microsoft's services.msc, and looked at the list of services. Sure enough, I found an entry for IHA_MessageCenter. And its Status was "Started." First I Stopped it, and then I changed its Startup Type to "Manual." (And then I verified, via Process Explorer, that it was indeed no longer running.)

I expect this Services change to finally stop the generation of these files.

Thus, there are at least two morals to this story:

A) The uninstall applet for the Message Center is not properly coded. In addition to whatever else it did, it should stop the IHA_MessageCenter service, it should remove that entry from the list of services, and it should itself delete the C:\Program Files\Verizon\IHA_MessageCenter directory.

B) Of course, the original problem may still exist. That is, the Message Center application itself seems to have a bug. It should not generate the CmdVBS file, or if it needs to, it should keep it to itself, e.g., not run Notepad after it does so. Put another way, my manually finishing up the work that the uninstall applet started may now do the trick of actually preventing Verizon_IHAMessageCenter.exe from running and displaying a file each day, but that work should not have been necessary. And suppose I'd like to re-install the Message Center someday? Will it generate and show those files each day again? I don't know, but I may give it a shot when I have some free time.