Re: Concurrent users on Actiontec MI424WR
reeve1

However, I do know how to make the change and will try another channel. It seems to like 11 by default. Any recommendations on another channel number that would be less susceptible to interference? I really don't think this is it because of how precise the number of active connections that it allows. But I have been humbled too many times not to try it.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

typically channel 1, 6, or 11 are recommended. The others all overlap with at least one of these. Certainly you should be able to beat 11 users/devices at a time with a rev I.

Possibly try switching to performance mode if all your devices support it.  The rev I defaults to WPA2.  THAT  IS also the best performance for a mode with security.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The fact that this has happened on two different router is very strange.

Some basic questions:

1)  Are these devices wired or wireless, or a mix?

2)  If wireless are you using MAC address whitelisting?  If so, there is a limit in the router of 10 devices in the whitelist.  MAC address whitelisting is useless, so I strongly recommend NOT using it.

3)  Have you done a hard reset on the router?

4)  Have you attempted to change the default range of IP addresses handed out by the DHCP server?  The default is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 so there should be plenty of DHCP addresses available with the default settings.

5)  Do you have another router on your network that might be attempting to hand out conflicting DHCP addresses?

I aware of users running 60+ devices on their Actiontec router without a problem.

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

@Anti-Phish wrote:

I aware of users running 60+ devices on their Actiontec router without a problem.

I have seen over 200 devices running through an ActionTec MI424WR Rev. I router from Verizon before at a 3 day long LAN party. That place did about 13TB to/from the Internet in the course of 2.5 days. All of those devices were behind a pfSense box (handled DHCP, Firewall, Traffic shaping, and a lot of NAT deal) so that likely saved the ActionTec from falling over considering the type of traffic was enough to crash any home network.

0 Likes
reeve1

Yes, this is why I am thinking it is something to do with the DHCP function of the Actiontec, either set to a fixed value by Verizon to limit most home users or something that is configurable through the menus and has been set low.

I've answered the questions inline

Some basic questions:

1)  Are these devices wired or wireless, or a mix?

Mixed

2)  If wireless are you using MAC address whitelisting?  If so, there is a limit in the router of 10 devices in the whitelist.  MAC address whitelisting is useless, so I strongly recommend NOT using it.

No whitelisting, for reasons you stated..

3)  Have you done a hard reset on the router?

More than several times.

4)  Have you attempted to change the default range of IP addresses handed out by the DHCP server?  The default is 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254 so there should be plenty of DHCP addresses available with the default settings.

No, is this a suggestion?

5)  Do you have another router on your network that might be attempting to hand out conflicting DHCP addresses?

Absolutely not. I had confirmed this with a sniffer.

Were they using the router's DHCP function or something else (external)?

Thanks,

Paul

0 Likes