• Services  

Order Services

See All Plans & Bundles

Special Deals

Moving Made Easy

Current Customers

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Find out which Verizon services are available at your address.

• My Verizon  

Email & Calls

Check Email

Verizon Visual 411

Bill & Payment

View Bill

Pay Bill

Pay Final Bill

Manage Auto Pay

Manage Paper Free Billing

My Services

Add or Change Services

Renew or Change Bundle

Review Account

Manage My Internet

Manage My Voice

• Support  

Community help

• Watch FiOS  

Watch thousands of your favorite TV shows and movies On Demand and Live. Rent or buy your favorites and watch them on any device. Or, check what's on tonight and program your DVR. You can do it all!

Watch Free TV & Movies

Rent or Buy

Set your TV Viewing Experience

• Trending  

Check out this personalized, real-time feed featuring the latest content and entertainment from around the Web including new headlines, sports, entertainment and more.

See what's Trending!

Contributor
bergerd
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Connect Ext Hard Drive to Fios Router MI424WR

Can I connect an external USB hard drive to my existing Fios Router or do I need to buy a new router that has a USB port? 

Platinum Contributor I
prisaz
0 Kudos

Re: Connect Ext Hard Drive to Fios Router MI424WR

No the USB port is not active.

I have only seen a couple of routers with USB that actually supports NAS. So you would be better off getting a NAS box with a drives that will plug into your ethernet.

Contributor
bergerd
0 Kudos

My router doesn't have a USB port to begin with.  Is there a router I could get that would work with FIOS and support a USB connected hard drive?

What is a NAS box?  Sorry, I'm not a wiz at this stuff.

Platinum Contributor I
prisaz

bergerd wrote:

My router doesn't have a USB port to begin with.  Is there a router I could get that would work with FIOS and support a USB connected hard drive?

What is a NAS box?  Sorry, I'm not a wiz at this stuff.

Only Verizon supplied routers are supported, but if you have Ethernet from your ONT box, you could use a different configuration. But you would not be able to get support from Verizon regarding your configuration and you would also still need to have the coax connected to the network through the Verizon supplied router or an adapter. But doing this you would lose some features. Such as remote DVR access and remote support for your set top boxes. If you are network challenged it would not be a good idea.

NAS Network attached storage. It is a box with hard drives that sits on your network. If you have a PC that stays on all the time, it could do the same thing.

Contributor
csnuz

If you look at the only computer parts stores like egghead.com, tigerdirect.com and others and search on Google you can find a USB to ethernet adapter or a USB to Ethernet cable for this application.  Hard to find and sometimes not that inexpensive, but cheaper than buying a new drive our enclosure.  

Silver Contributor IV
Anti-Phish

Re: Connect Ext Hard Drive to Fios Router MI424-WR

bergerd wrote:

do I need to buy a new router that has a USB port? 

Attaching a drive to a router via USB is not a good idea, even if a router supports it.

USB generates an interrupt for every 16 bytes of data.  This causes your router to be constantly handling interrupts transferring data to and from the drive.  Do you really want to slow your router down doing this? 

You can get a 1TB Ethernet attached drive for not much more than the cost of a 1TB external drive.

BTW, the reason usual USB ports exist on routers is to load pre-shared keys (PSK) for wireless encryption.

My Verizon

Support Tools

Watch FiOS

Trending

• Visual 411