Re: Connecting Two MI424WR Routers on my home network - WON'T WORK
entrican

Yea - I'm thinking there's something going on under the hood which is trying to prevent this or is unintentionally preventing it.

My routers are identical and I've verified there are no new firmware updates available for them.  They're referred to as MI424WR Rev.F, but here's the more specific info from the System Monitoring page.

Firmware Version - 40.21.10.2

Model Name - MI424WR-GEN3I

Hardware Version - I

Physical Connection Type: Ethernet
Broadband Connection Type: DHCP
Broadband Connection Status: Connected

What's really frustrating is that everything else works!  I can add devices to the LAN or Wireless side of the secondary router and they get IP's from the primary router DHCP server ... and everything is network reachable in both directions.  Is an ideal LAN extension.

There's just something messing with the DHCP connection to the verizon network.

Get this ... I even tried "Disabling" the Coax interface on the "Network (Home/Office)" and it resulted in a breakage between the "Network (Home/Office)" primary and secondary router networks (as I expected), but I was hoping to also see that when I did this, it would stop the DHCP interferance with the WAN side of the primary router ... yet it still caused a disconnect.

Sounds like something outside of IP is going on that allows theses two routers to see each other and stop one another from co-existing.  They must really want to sell those ECB2200 .... sigh ... that won't work for me because I'm doing all this to get a handful of RJ45 connections behind my TV and to extend my wireless coverage in the downstairs of my home and I don't want to install a separate MoCA bridge and an additional router to get the ports behind the TV - too much network management.  I've got a "stick pc - MINIX" behind my TV with storage that I'd like to be able to FTP into ... and the more gear I throw in between all these things, the uglier it gets.

-Robert

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

entrican wrote:

My routers are identical and I've verified there are no new firmware updates available for them.  They're referred to as MI424WR Rev.F, but here's the more specific info from the System Monitoring page.

Firmware Version - 40.21.10.2

Model Name - MI424WR-GEN3I

Hardware Version - I 

Where are you getting the reference to rev. F? 

The routers can't be both rev. F and rev. I.

The system monitoring page clearly shows rev. I.

Do the router both have red bands on the front?

The rev. I routers have red bands, while the older routers have silver bands.

0 Likes
entrican

😕 ... good catch anti-phish,

I thought the Rev F. was the only one with Gigabit, and I also thought the revision letters were an arbitrary release of a router with a specific firmware release - hence the same model number on all of them.

Anyhow, my router has red bands.

-Robert

0 Likes
entrican

I GOT IT TO WORK IN SPITE OF VERIZON TELLING ME IT WON'T!!!!!!!!

If you follow the standard procedure on DSL Reports, it will not work on this Rev of the MI424WR Router.  Based on my own trial and error, I came to realization the "Disable" at the interface level is not working in this rev of the firmware.

You have to DISABLE EVERYTHING (even thought its disabled at the interface level) INCLUDING (THE MOST IMPORTANT) ... "Auto Detect" on the Broadband (Ethernet/Coax) ... which appears to be the biggest culprit.

Even though the Broadband Interface reported disabled in the UI, the firmware was still probing the ONT somehow/someway that resulted in the WAN interface on the primary router becoming defunct.

I'll work up a more definitive description of what I did and share some screenshots for anyone else struggling with this crazy issue.

Thanks for your help guys!

-Robert

0 Likes
dvipe120

Looking forward to your detailed description.  I have similar issue with the MI424WR GIGE Router.

and ran into a similar problem.

My Wan connection from  the ONT is set to  Ethernet however every time I connect the coax cable to the Router the Wan Coax connection light starts to blink and the Wan Ethernet drop s it's connection leaving me with an amber internet light and no internet connection.

I tried configuring the Router to turn off the WAN Coax(Moca)  connection but the Broadband ( which I assume is the WAN) COAX / Ethernet are listed together.  I dont see a way to diable just the COAX Broadband Connection and keep the COAX LAN connection.

Right now my workaround is to leave the coax cable physically disconnected from the Router in order to have internet connectivity.

This problem only started to happen when  the Tech replace  the  Model 610 ONT to Model 612, prior to this I did not have this issue.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

The 610 ONT did not have MOCA WAN.

If the new 612 ONT is configured for ethernet, it "shouldn't" be outputting a MOCA WAN signal.

Have you tried disabling auto-WAN detection?

Go to Advanced -> System Settings -> Auto WAN Detection, uncheck "Enable"

0 Likes
dvipe120

Tried disabling auto-WAN detection by Going to Advanced -> System Settings -> Auto WAN Detection, unchecking "Enable",  reconnected the coax to the Router.

The  Wan Coax lite started blinking and the

Wan Ethernet lite went out ,

Internet lite changed to amber.

0 Likes
dvipe120

Am I doing something wrong?

I must be missing something.

The whole idea is to extend  my network to the opposite side of the house where coax is already in place and  bridge my lan through coax to another moca router where I can connect  cat 5.

0 Likes
Anti-Phish1
Master - Level 1

From what i can tell, you're not doing anything wrong.

But I can't explain why it's not working.

0 Likes
boom4u
Enthusiast - Level 3

yeah i got the same setup, 2 action tec gige routers, works great. no problems here.

0 Likes