Connecting a third party router to accompany actiontec router?
lindalp1

So I'm thinking about ordering a second router but I don't want to replace the actiontec router that Verizon supplied me, only because I don't have any clue what to do with my STB's so I'm going to leave the Actiontec specifically for that reason. I have the exact same setup with this exact router at my father's house and nothing seems to have gone wrong. Except that we hooked up an extra room specifically for the third party router. This time, I have nowhere for that to happen, so I was thinking about buying a moca bridge and plugging it in to an existing coaxial jack which another STB is plugged into. If I did this with the new router and simply gave only the one STB internet connection via Ethernet through the third party router, and left the rest on the actiontec, would it still work without messing anything up? Thank you.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Connecting a third party router to accompany actiontec router?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm not exactly clear what it is you want to accomplish, but if I understand correctly that you want to have an Ethernet connection for a single device in another part of your house, a part of the house where there's an existing coax feed, then a MoCA adapater should do the trick for you.

If indeed you're just trying to get that single Ethernet connection you won't need another router.  You can plug the Ethernet device directly into the output of the MoCA adapter.

If you need more than one Ethernet connection after the MoCA adapter what you can use is a simple and inexpensive Ethernet switch.  Again, you don't need another router.

The only case I can envision for needing a second router in your situaiton is if you want to use it to extend WiFi coverage, but just  for Ethernet connection(s) a second router is not needed and may be counter productive.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Connecting a third party router to accompany actiontec router?
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I'm not exactly clear what it is you want to accomplish, but if I understand correctly that you want to have an Ethernet connection for a single device in another part of your house, a part of the house where there's an existing coax feed, then a MoCA adapater should do the trick for you.

If indeed you're just trying to get that single Ethernet connection you won't need another router.  You can plug the Ethernet device directly into the output of the MoCA adapter.

If you need more than one Ethernet connection after the MoCA adapter what you can use is a simple and inexpensive Ethernet switch.  Again, you don't need another router.

The only case I can envision for needing a second router in your situaiton is if you want to use it to extend WiFi coverage, but just  for Ethernet connection(s) a second router is not needed and may be counter productive.

0 Likes