Connecting gaming console. MoCA adapter or Router?
Krussadams1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello all,

I haven't really been able to find a definitive answer to this anywhere.  Currently, my FIOS setup has the routers/wireless transceiver in a bedroom at the front of the house.  I have a game console in the den at the back of the house.  I do not want to move the router, but I want to get the gaming console off of the wireless connection and hardiwred with some cat5.  There is a coax connection in the den, with a STB connected.  I'm considering getting a MoCA adapter to use at this location, so I can branch a cat5 off and maintain the coax for the STB.  Will this work?  I keep reading what indicates to me that the MoCA needs to be downstream from the router, but one or two site don't seem to say that.  So, can I simply install a MoCA adapter at the coax line in the den, split coax off to the STB and have cat5 for me console, and be happy?  Or would I need a secondary router at this location instead of the MoCA adapter, becuase the MoCA would need to be downstream from the router?  

Thanks in advance!

-K

Re: Connecting gaming console. MoCA adapter or Router? - Adapter Will Work Just Fine
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Krussadams wrote:

... my FIOS setup has the routers/wireless transceiver in a bedroom at the front of the house.  I have a game console in the den at the back of the house ... I want to get the gaming console ... hardiwred with some cat5.  There is a coax connection in the den I'm considering getting a MoCA adapter ... so I can branch a cat5 off and maintain the coax for the STB.  Will this work? ...

Short answer: YES!

The coax system for FiOS is bi-directional (which of course has implications for the splitters you use).  Just get a splitter that meets the FiOS specs (bi-directional 1GHz or better), add the MoCA adapter, plug in the Cat5e, and you are good to go.

Trick for extra credit:  ask any nearby FiOS installer truck for a splitter and see if you get lucky.

0 Likes
Re: Connecting gaming console. MoCA adapter or Router? - Adapter Will Work Just Fine
Krussadams1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you!

So, I'm looking at getting the ActionTec ECB2500C.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Actiontec---MoCA-Network-Adapter/1305441208.p?skuId=1305441208&contract_...

With this adapter, I shouldn't need a bi-drectional splitter (it has both coax in and TV/STB out terminals), and all I should have to do it plug it in and I'm set...?

Thanks!

-K

0 Likes
Krussadams1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update: I called ACtionTec about this issue, and according to them, what I described is "impossible".  Smiley Frustrated

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Krussadams wrote:

Update: I called ACtionTec about this issue, and according to them, what I described is "impossible" ...

I don't know what you described to Actiontec, so I don't know what they described as "impossible."  Please look at this page for the manufacturer's description of your device.  It specifically mentions gaming consoles in connection with the captioned device and a single coax outlet:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/product.php?pid=251

Using the device in question,  simply plug the existing coax coming from the wall into the appropriate coax terminal shown on the illustration, run a coax patch cord from the other coax port to the STB, run an Ethernet patch cord from the device RJ 45 to the computer or other network device, plug in the device power adapter, and you are set.  This is precisely what the unit is designed to do. 

You are correct that with this setup, no splitter is required.  The splitter was mentioned because you used the phrase "branch off" that suggests a slightly modified wiring arrangement.  Obviously simpler is better if it gets the job done.

0 Likes
Krussadams1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you.

The confusion arises from here:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/EthCoaxMoCAadptr_2500c_ds3.pdf

Their diagram shows a MoCA adapter at the router, with lines going through the house downstrem.  My setup is coax in the back room that comes straight off the pole (not through the router first).  So, I don't totally trust ActionTec's word on this as he didn't seem all that competent, but the diagram is what's got me perplexed.  It makes it seem like you need at least two adapters to make it work.

So do these MoCA adapters work straight off the coax coming into the house?  Or do they need to be downstream from the router or downstream from one another?

Sorry for dragging this out.  I just want to make sure that whatever solution I buy, it willbe the right one so I don't have to deal with the hassle of returning anything, etc.

Thanks!!

-K

0 Likes
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

@Krussadams wrote:

... The confusion arises from here:

http://www.actiontec.com/products/datasheets/EthCoaxMoCAadptr_2500c_ds3.pdf

Their diagram shows a MoCA adapter at the router, with lines going through the house downstrem ... do these MoCA adapters work straight off the coax coming into the house? ... 

You confusion is justified, in that the diagram you listed does not represent your system (as I understand it).  Note that in the diagram, the router is provisioned via Ethernet WAN.  In your home, you are using what's called "coax WAN." 

Don't spend too much time with this unless your curiosity is aroused and you want to delve further.  Just realize that anywhere you have a coax connection in the building, you can add one of the adapter devices in question and also have an Ethernet connection at that same location.

Admittedly this takes some getting used to when one first encounters the Verizon or MoCA method.  The confusion arises because the coax sends different types of signals at different frequencies over the same wire.  What the adapter does is help separate these different signals for particular uses (TV, Internet, etc.). 

I hope that hasn't made things more foggy.  Very shortly you will be happy with the proposed solution.

Krussadams1
Enthusiast - Level 2

OK, Armond.  I will take your word for this and go with the MoCA adapter and proceed with my plan.

Thanks very much for you time!

-K

0 Likes
Krussadams1
Enthusiast - Level 2

Update:

Received my MoCA adapter yesterday, and plugged it in.  No joy.  Smiley Sad

So the coax coming into the house from the pole (after one splitter on the exterior of the house) goes into the MoCA.  Coax out goes into the STB.  TV works perfectly, including menus and all apparent functions.  But...

I hooked up the Cat5 to the PS3, and set up the internet connection.  Seemed to work fine - connection test showed success at all steps, though upload/download speeds looked a bit weak for what I'm supposed to be getting.  Then, messages would appear indicating the PS3 was disconnected from the media server.  I disabled that, and it seemed fine again.  Then, intermittent message saying something to the effect of "there is no Ethernet cable installed" would appear, and the connection was gone.  Then it would come back after setting up the connection again, or testing it.  Got into the game, connected on line, got into a game and BAM...within the first minute, booted because the connection was gone.  Same message - no Ethernet cable.  The drop out of the connection appears random - there's nothing I can see consistently preceding the connection dropping out.

I did check all cables - coax and Ethernet - and all are connected securely and appear to be completely intact.  Does this sound like anything to do with settings, or does it sound like I've just got a bad MoCA adapter?  Personally, I'm suspecting the adapter is bad, but with returning being a hassle I'm really hoping it's just something in the settings or elsewhere that can be fixed. Smiley Happy

Thanks!

-K

0 Likes
Re: Connecting PS3 using MoCA adapter - Some System Tests and Diagnostics
armond_in_nj1
Master - Level 1

I will answer your post in several parts.  Please note that I have zero familiarity with gaming consoles.  Meanwhile I'm quite familiar with Internet connections, wiring, and equipment.  Let's see if this helps.

@Krussadams wrote:

... the coax coming into the house from the pole (after one splitter on the exterior of the house) goes into the MoCA.  Coax out goes into the STB.  TV works perfectly, including menus and all apparent functions ...

There is no coax run from any pole in the typical FiOS installation.  The cable that VZ runs to your ONT (which I presume is located on the exterior of your home) is actually a fiber optic cable that's connected to the ONT.  From there coax and phone cables are run to the interior of the dwelling for distribution.

Coax carries both TV frequencies and  Internet frequencies.  What I think your description signifies is (1) that in the room you discussed in your original post, you have a coax jack; that (2) you have run coax from that jack to the MoCA adapter; that (3) you have run another coax from the adapter to the TV.  Since the TV is working correctly, it's fair to assume that the MoCA adapter is also working correctly.

@Krussadams wrote:

... hooked up the Cat5 to the PS3, and set up the internet connection.  Seemed to work fine - connection test showed success at all steps ...

This also signifies that the MoCA adapter is operating properly.  As stated above, I'm not familiar with gaming devices and I'm hoping someone who is will jump in to comment.  In any case since you are seeing a working Internet connection downstream from the MoCA adapter, this again indicates that the MoCA adapter itself is operating correctly.

@Krussadams wrote:

... upload/download speeds looked a bit weak for what I'm supposed to be getting.  Then, messages would appear indicating the PS3 was disconnected from the media server.  I disabled that, and it seemed fine again.  Then, intermittent message saying something to the effect of "there is no Ethernet cable installed" would appear, and the connection was gone.  Then it would come back after setting up the connection again, or testing it.  Got into the game, connected on line, got into a game and BAM...within the first minute, booted because the connection was gone.  Same message - no Ethernet cable.  The drop out of the connection appears random - there's nothing I can see consistently preceding the connection dropping out ...

The only consistent problem I can see is that the PS3 device is itself not operating properly.

Have you tried plugging in just a regular computer or wired laptop to the MoCA adapter?  Please try this and report back.  If the wired computer is able to get online, this additionally indicates that the MoCA adapter is operating correctly.  It also shows that the issue you are experiencing is probably centered on the gaming console itself.

For further testing, what happens when you plug the gaming console directly into one of the LAN ports on the router? 

Do both of these tests and report back.

@Krussadams wrote:

... I did check all cables - coax and Ethernet - and all are connected securely and appear to be completely intact.  Does this sound like anything to do with settings, or does it sound like I've just got a bad MoCA adapter?  Personally, I'm suspecting the adapter is bad ...

Actually  I see it quite differently.  From what you've described, the MoCA adapter is performing  properly, and the gaming console is suspect.  Until you perform the two tests listed above, no other conclusions can be drawn.  So ...

1.  Try a conventional wired computer using the MoCA adapter and see if you can get online and maintain a stable connection.

2.  Try the PS3 gaming console plugged directly into the router (LAN port) and see how stable that connection is.

Please let us know the results.  In the meantime perhaps some gaming console expert on the forums will have additional insights.  Good luck.

Some further thoughts:  You will recall that when we first discussed this issue, I suggested the use of a splitter, the idea being that coax from the wall jack runs to the splitter, and then separate coax cables run from each of the splitter ports to the STB and the MoCA adapter.  However you suggested that you wanted to run coax directly to the adapter, and then use the outputs from there to the STB, and also to the PS3.  Based on the product literature that seemed possible. 

However according to this post from some time ago ...

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-Internet/MoCa-adapter-not-passing-network-throug-coax/m-p/239537#M...

... it may be that you must actually use the splitter I suggested and that your alternate wiring method will not work.  Here is another thread that states the same thing:

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Technical-Assistance/MoCA-adapter-for-FiOS-STB-Blu-ray/m-p/4704...

I'm not in a position to test this since I don't use adapters in my network, but it's worth looking into, particularly since the writer "lasagna" is a highly qualified network person.

Further to this, when you tried your TV and STB with the adapter in the circuit, were you able to achieve  full functionality on the TV (i.e., the Guide, Caller ID, DVR, etc.)?  Please comment.

0 Likes