Connection Speed in FiOS is Totally Unreliable! Speed is MUCH slower than promissed
zoharbabin
Enthusiast - Level 1

I've checked several times during the last month, using various tools including the one provided by Verizon: http://speedtest.verizon.com/fios300/#

My connection speed is often extremely slow, while my account is supposed to be 150 Mbps/65 Mbps, the experience sucks (YouTube, Netflix, Hulu, etc. buffers a lot), even sites are often slow to load. The Verizon tool shows 40-65 Mbps Download and 7-40 Mbps Upload!

Here's an screen shot of a recent test:

Re: Connection Speed in FiOS is Totally Unreliable! Speed is MUCH slower than promissed
Hubrisnxs
Legend

Hi, are you wired or wireless?

It's not common for that to happen on wired connections, on wireless it seems to be more common.   

The best way to get your full speed (and the only garunteed way) is to hardwire your machine.

If you have a 2nd actiontec lying around, you can do that easily by hooking it up like this 

If you HAVE to do wireless for that area, then you have to realize that there are a LOT of things that interfere with the signal strength of a wireless antenna.  That router can do a potential wireless of 130mb.  BUT that is under immaculate and pristine conditions.   Everything minus's from that high point.  So:

• Distance over ten feet begins to degrades that signal
  • Each wall the signal travels through degrades that signal (double insulated walls are worse double paned windows are worse)
  • If you have multiple story's in your home, Floor's will degrade the signal
  • Baby Monitors operating on 2.4ghz range will degrade that signal
  • Blutooth devices will degrade that signal
  • 2.4ghz Cordless phones will degrade that signal
  • 5ghz Cordless phones will degrade that signal in standby mode (in standby they drop to 2.4)
  • Microwave Ovens will degrade that signal
  • CFL Lightbulbs will degrade that signal
  • Competing Wireless Routers will degrade that signal. 

So with wireless, you have do a few things to get the BEST out of it.

• Have the router elevated to the height of where the PC's Sit. That means if your PC is on a desk, have your router sitting at that same height.
  • Experiment with the router standing upright or laying flat.
  • Adjust the antenna's
  • Try to place the router in the most central spot you can (pictures below will help explain what I mean) 
  • Make sure the drivers for your wireless device are the most current drivers (check manufacturers website)
  • Experiment with channels 1, 6 and 11 in your router settings.  (instructions are below)

So here are the instructions for the last one, which I would do first.  open a browser, and go to http://192.168.1.1

user name is admin.  and the password is most likely the serial number found on the service tag of your VZ router unless you changed it. Once you login succesfully, go to the top and hit wireless, then on the left basic security.   then go to option 3 which is channel  1, 6 and 11 and are the only channels you should try.

So it will likely be set to auto, change it to 11 and put the check for keep settings even after reboot (Directly under the channel) and then hit apply.  after you hit apply,  test your connection out, if you notice a difference, leave it like that until the problem happens again, and if it happens again, go back into the router, and try channel 6,     test it out.  and then finally 1 if the first two don't work.

Also take a look at page 2 of Actiontec's Wireless PDF File.  It gives you some idea's with regards to position and orientation of where the router sits and how it can best be positioned for maximum coverage.

http://support.actiontec.com/doc_files/MI424WR_Rev(all)_Wireless_Networking_Guide.pdf

imageimage

Re: Connection Speed in FiOS is Totally Unreliable! Speed is MUCH slower than promissed
zoharbabin
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thank you for the detailed response.

Unfortunately, the problem is not with the wireless network, as I get the same exact results when I'm connected to the router using a wire. I've also tested while having only one device connected, same results.

This seems like an issue with Verizon itself, the connection fluctuates all the time.

The phone support is horrific, they keep you on waiting time for hours, and then pass you between different people until you just give up. 😞

Any ideas on how to investigate further, or get better attention from Verizon's support?

Thanks!

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

It might be a good idea to replace the router right off the bat.  It's not normal for you to get that kind of performance from a hardwired connection, so If you stick with that you will get the best results from support.

So my advice, go to the local store (Verizon) and replace the router. This removes supports ability to blame it on your router.

Stay hardwired during your testing, and that removes supports ability to blame the wireless interference.

Continue to test at their website, and that removes their ability to blame other speedtest hosting companies.

Make sure to hit the details button and post your results, so we can let you know if there is any adjustments that need to be made on your PC.

Once you are 100% good on your side with a hardwired test, fully optimized, and testing at their site, then they don't have any choice but to engage their network tech's and possibly send you a tech to inspect your Optical Network Terminal and it's cabling.

Some users have reported that rebooting that Network terminal has also fixed their problem, so it's worth a shot, just be advised that when you reset it, it erases any event logs.  

Also with the 150MB service, you should have gotten the router that has TWO antenna's and a red band.  It's an Actiontec MI424 Rev I and it should be hooked up using an ethernet cable from the Service terminal to the back of the router where it's labeled Ethernet WAN.    If it's using only COAX WAN or the COAX WAN light is lit, then that might be your problem, unless support can verify that you are set up to be ethernet wan.  

22Becca22
Contributor - Level 3

Sorry to hear you're having these issues, zoharbabin,

Here are a few remarks to clarify hubrisnxs' well-written suggestions:

1) If you had ordered the 150/65 Mbps FiOS Quantum Internet, then you would have by default received a technician visit to have your router upgraded for free to the FIOS GigE wireless "N" router with the dual-antenna.  As part of the speed upgrade, the technician would have checked your Optical Network Terminal (ONT) to make sure it is compatible with the new speed, and whether it warrants a replacement or not (depending on ONTs available in your residential area also).

If you were a brand new customer with the 150/65 speed, then the installation process should have taken care of this.

If for some reason you still have the old router (single antenna with a silver/gray band) [perhaps you opted not to have a tech visit], then you definitely need the router replaced to an "N" one and the ONT checked.

Do call Verizon's Technical Support to get these two things done ASAP.

2) If you have the "N" router already and the ONT was looked at by a Verizon technician during the upgrade process and your speed is this slow, then I would contact Technical Support directly and ASK to speak with a manager if the representative you get on the phone is not helpful.

3) Do confirm, though, that you indeed ordered and have the 150/65 speed on your account (your online account details and most recent bill would show this).

If you are not certain about your internet speed, you can contact your local Verizon FiOS store to check your account.

Also, local stores MAY NOT have N routers for replacements or upgrade from a regular router for FREE.  

I know most stores SELL the N routers and do no carry them for swaps at all. It depends on the local store, too, as some stores may not even have routers in stock. It is Technical Support that replaces the routers for customers and they are usually mailed out. The stores just recently started having them due to customer demand and if the stores do carry routers for free swaps, those are the regular single-antenna routers.

Here is a list of Verizon FiOS stores:

http://www22.verizon.com/Support/Residential/tv/fiostv/General+Support/Account+Issues/QuestionsOne/8...

I would CALL the store and not just show up if you have a question, to avoid further frustration for you.

This sound like you may ultimately need to speak with Technical Support, and if you do, the local store can also try to transfer you to that department.

Unfortunately, as hubris has said, guaranteeing that speed on your wireless devices depends on several factors.

If you need to call Verizon's Technical Support directly, the number is 1-888-553-1555.  On the prompts, select REPAIR.

Hope this helps!

backtodirecttv
Enthusiast - Level 1

..,.speed test even says I amm getting 24+ mbps but I can't even watch youtube videos without having to pause them for them to load?.

it took 4 seconds to load this page.

Speed test is a sham.

0 Likes
backtodirecttv
Enthusiast - Level 1

i hav ben wired and wireless and Im only 2 feet from router

0 Likes
backtodirecttv
Enthusiast - Level 1

Let me clarify. Speed test are done by a general location a example is - I live in Belmont shores Long Beach. The speed test is for southren california and long beach not my router. Since November 1st I have had problems with Verizon. As of today I am FINALLY getting a service person to come out and inspect my lines. Im tired of useing in house agent, agent live and talking over and over to verizon. I have typed messages until my fingers are raw.

0 Likes