Couple of issues with MI424WR-GEN2 REV F
ffoord
Enthusiast - Level 2

Some strange issues have popped up and it seems to all have occurred because VZ did a firmware upgrade on the 4th of August for me on the device listed in the subject. First they upgraded it to another FW build lower then upgraded it to the highest build. I can understand that but I was out of service all day because of it and when calling support nobody seemed to know. Doesn't matter now. That's not my problem.

Since August 4th been getting an error in the security log and getting e-mails reporting this error pretty regularly. Actiontec won't even deal with me since I have a Verizon issued router. SO maybe you guys can help me figure out what this means. This shows up in the security log not the "System" log.

Whenever I reboot the router or 24 hours goes by I get this message:

Dec 14 19:00:12 2007 Unknown Unknown ioctl_active_dev_names_set:113: Failed setting firewall on device eth1

Now being familiar with Unix I'm assuming that this is the unused Broadband ethernet port? I'm not using that as the router uses COAX on its WAN side. So that's disabled. Of course I would have gotten this message from the get go I thought. Or is it the entire ethernet switch (meaning all 4 ports)? I've talked to Actiontec and as I said they don't know what's going on over there.

This has started since firmware:

Software Version: 20.19.8   Release Date: Jul 2 2011 Platform: MC524-WR

I'm also getting errors on several Microsoft PCs and one Linux PC (different error syntax but same problem) regarding Event ID 4228 TCP/IP has chosen to restrict the scale factor due to a network condition. This could be related to a problem in a network device and will cause  degraded throughput.

This has all started since the upgrade.

If it were my router I could go ahead and change the RWIN setup or at least see why the scaling is out of whack on the firmware but being that its a restricted firmware with a very basic GUI I don't even know where to start to fix these issues. Throughput seems the same, though I am getting issues from time to time related to the scaling feature that I've had to turn off completely.... and STP seems to be working but I'd like to know at least what that error message is that I'm receiving. I can't imagine calling Verizon and asking these questions as they would have no idea what I was talking about.

SO what is the deal with that error message? And is there some easy way that you guys know of to properly check that the "firewall" is working on the router? Ports seemed closed but that doesn't mean much. What do you guys think?

Thanks for the help ahead of time this is a pain when this kind of stuff happens.

Re: Couple of issues with MI424WR-GEN2 REV F
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

It just seems like a firmware bug. Eth1 could be assigned to anything, but if it isn't active the Firewall shouldn't even be trying to apply itself to that port until it is enabled. You could try performing a factory reset of your router to see if any of the issues with it clear up.

In the past, I know there was a buggy build of the firmware that Verizon pushed out. It caused issues with the routers and disabled Wireless. Users actually had to install an updated firmware if the router didn't do it automatically.

Re: Couple of issues with MI424WR-GEN2 REV F
ffoord
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think you are right from what Actiontec has said that eth1 is the WAN port and since its disabled it shouldn't be checking for firewall usage like it is. They updated the firmware, Verizon that is, twice in the same day. Hopefully they'll update it again. I just wish I knew what the reason for all these bugs are. And the URL in the Firmware Update section to check if you have firmware is now a bad url and I get errors every day for that now. So I had to turn off the auto update firmware feature.

I've tried a reset and its still doing the same thing. So I don't know what else to do.