DNS issues in VaBeach, VA
HeavyGee
Enthusiast - Level 2

It appears that, yet again, Verizon FIOS is having issues with their equipment which prevents me from getting to various web sites.

This has happened at least three other times in the past few months. When it happens it always seem to be problems with the same sites. It is always readily noticeable cuz it kills my Twitter timeline feeds.

I have been able to verify that the intended sites are reachable by connecting my pc to the net via a different connection (Cox cable).

Has anybody tried using OpenDNS for their dns resolution rather than using Verizons servers? Would that fix the problem?

This is very annoying and while I have been mostly pleased (my ONT died just a couple weeks after FIOS was installed but Verizon - to their credit - was able to get a tech out to replace it the next day) with my FIOS service otherwise since it was installed a few months ago if this problem continues I may have to dump Verizon.

0 Likes
Re: DNS issues in VaBeach, VA
HeavyGee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just to update my first post:

Verizon's DNS troubles (if that was in fact what they were) have been corrected as of about 0200EST and I can again *until next time anyway) get to the websites that were earlier unavailable.

Still curious as to why this occasionally happens.

0 Likes
frnkblk
Enthusiast - Level 3

How did you confirm it was a DNS issue?  Did you use nslookup or dig?

0 Likes
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

From personal experience, Verizon's DNS Servers in my area are iffy in their response. They will either work well, or they will take forever to look up a request and slow everything down. OpenDNS is pretty darn consistent. Once or twice I've had DNS issues with them that only affected one website with some of their records not looking up correctly, but that only lasted for a few hours. Otherwise, their DNS Servers are very consistent in response. Fast servers for sure.

As a personal tip, switch off of Verizon's DNS servers and onto someone like Google DNS, OpenDNS, or Level3's Public DNS Servers. They perform a lot better and use AnyCast DNS, so outages have been non-existant.

0 Likes