DSL to FIOS Should I?
RobertR

I have DSL.  I am thinking of switching to FIOS.  I currently have a Verizon land line.   First, I am told FIOS is faster than DSL.  True?  Second, I currently use a Linksys wireless router for my iMac and Powerbook.  Can I use this router with FIOS internet?  I looked up the service options and it seems that I must sign up for a different phone service to go along with the internet service.  Is this true even though I am already  a Verizon customer?  What are the costs of the FIOS installation if any for the internet and phone service? And lastly, I have heard stories of FIOS adding to electric bills Does FIOS use more electricity than other services?

Thank you 

0 Likes
Re: DSL to FIOS Should I?
Techman28
Master - Level 1

RobertR wrote:

I have DSL.  I am thinking of switching to FIOS.  I currently have a Verizon land line.   First, I am told FIOS is faster than DSL.  True?  Second, I currently use a Linksys wireless router for my iMac and Powerbook.  Can I use this router with FIOS internet?  I looked up the service options and it seems that I must sign up for a different phone service to go along with the internet service.  Is this true even though I am already  a Verizon customer?  What are the costs of the FIOS installation if any for the internet and phone service? And lastly, I have heard stories of FIOS adding to electric bills Does FIOS use more electricity than other services?

Thank you 

1. Yes Fios is Faster than DSL

2. Yes you can use your linksys but ask the FT to hook you up with Ethernet and you can use your linksys (soley if you getting data)

3. No you can get internet alone

4. no cost for install but $19.99 activation fee but I believe this is waived if you have multiple services.

5. I can't say for sure someone else on the forum who has actually tested that she reply

Re: DSL to FIOS Should I?
mattheww50
Contributor - Level 2

Two comments:

1). FiOS pretty  much delivers the rated service on matter the conditions. DSL is very sensitive to the conditions on the copper pair between you and the CO. The result is many DSL customers often don't get full performance because the condition, length (and sometimes weather conditions) don't allow it. FiOS is pretty much an all or nothing. It isn't sensitive to line length, condition of the copper pair, or weather.

Yes FiOS probably does use more power than DSL. The ONT (optical Network Terminal) is powered by you. The DSL line and copper pair telephone service is powered by the phone company, so you have telephone and DSL service even if the electricity has failed.