Rayj23
Enthusiast - Level 1

I get a error message when trying to connect my DSi to the internet wirelessly. Says it can't obtain IP address.  But my laptop connects fine.

Re: DSi
jumpin68ny
Master - Level 2

Are you certain you are using the proper wireless security settings on the DSI?  Are you using WEP or did you change it to WPA?

blueskys
Enthusiast - Level 1

I am having the same problem. We cannot get our daughters DSI to connect. It gives us an error code. All the error code says it that you have to enter your codes. Which we have done over and over. Does anyone have a solution to this??

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

As jumpin68ny asked, are your using WEP (the default settings from printed on the sticker on the router) or did you change your router wireless configuration to use WPA/WPA2?

If you're still using WEP, you should trying changing your network over to use WPA/WPA2.  Besides being a much better security protocol for protecting your wireless network communications and reducing the possibility of someone figuring out your security key, many newer devices are starting to having issues connecting to older WEP based networks.

I don't know if this is a driver problem with interpreting the wireless password (trying to figure out if you gave it a numeric sequence or a word which needs to be converted to a numeric sequence or a word which is a key which is what all the more robust protocols can handle) or an incompatibility in the WEP implementation (with the default 64-bit WEP that Verizon uses now being an outdated and general insecure protocol).   But anyhow, switching to WPA/WP2 usually solves the issue -- keeping in mind that you need to also update the security on every other wireless connected device.

There are a number of threads on the forums here which walk thru changing the security settings for your wireless network.

smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

Stupid question, but make sure you are entering in your WEP key the way it was entered onto the laptop. The WEP keys are case sensitive! The suggestions above about moving to WPA/WPA2 are what I would do.

lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

Actually WEP keys aren't case sensitive -- they're a hex string (hex '2E" and '2e' are both decimal 46) -- however some code on broken clients could be differentiating and as a result misinterpreting what is supposed to be a numeric value as a string.

Anyhow ... the WPA/WPA2 recommendation stands as it usually fixes the problem.  The strings for WPA/WPA2, now those ARE case sensitive.

bygaudio
Enthusiast - Level 1

Other than switching to WPA, another workaround (assuming you are entering the WEP key properly) is to set a static IP address on the DSi. For some reason the DSis do not like to receive DHCP addresses from the Verizon routers. I have only tried using WEP.

If you left the defaults for your home network you can assign the DSI an address of 192.168.1.15 subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and a gateway of 192.168.1.1. DNS should also be 192.168.1.1.

HTH