Re: Desktop speed is great 30/28mbs but PS3 speed is only 11/1.8 mbs.
scottyknew
Enthusiast - Level 2
Thanks for the input...it makes sense. So I went into the router settings and assigned the ps2 a static ip put into dmz and it is noticable better while playing black ops online. Speed test went up to 12.1/2.4 mbs. I still don't understand why my upload speed is so much slower than my download speed....any thoughts?
0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
When your testing your speed are you using the ps3 speedtest, or speedtest.net, or verizons speed test? Also are you wired or wireless.
0 Likes
scottyknew
Enthusiast - Level 2
I've tried both. Wired is slightly faster on the download side but about the same upload speed. When I put the ps3 into dmz I noticed an immediate improvement...but now it has reverted back to the same slow laggy connection. Im going nutz and my kd really sucks now.
0 Likes
scottyknew
Enthusiast - Level 2
Ps. just using the ps3 speed test since that was the test I used as my baseline.
0 Likes
spacedebris
Master - Level 2

Well at first I thought you may have had one of the first gen PS3's. Many of them only came with a 10Mb Ethernet connection (I have one). Therefore mine will not exceed 10Mb no matter what I do. But if you're getting above 10 that shouldn't be your issue.

However, 10MB should be more than adequate for any On-Line game ever made. For on-line gaming, anything above 1-2Mb is gravy. Hell, a 768 DSL connection is great for gaming. Downloading updates or patches is another issue, but actually playing the game, bandwidth really isn't needed. At least not in the speeds we are talking about with fios anyway. You shouldn't notice any difference between 10 and 25 for gameplay.

You may have other issues as well. Have you tried swapping out the Ethernet cable? Not likely an issue but its cheap and easy to check. (swap with the PC that is getting the good speeds). And it could be that the PS3 just may have a faulty Ethernet port. Or the PS3 firmware may be the problem.

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend
Use the ps3 and instead of using the ps3 speedTest, Open a browser and use verizons speedtest or speedtest.net
0 Likes
Gfunk2

I now have a ps4 and its still the same issue. I tried every possible setting in the router settings and still i jumped from 9.6/1.5 to 14/2 with the settings. But, if you go to an html5 speedtest site like www.speedof.me on your ps3 or ps4 internet browser my readings went to 24/10 speeds. also the movie section on the playstation store has a speedtest. if you act like your renting a movie, a speedtest icon shows up to test for SD or HD download quality, I am paying for 50/25 and on the movie speedtest i hit 56.90 down. hope this helps! I think now for me it comes down to the type of service box i have that doesnt allow my ps4 to recieve high speeds while gaming.

0 Likes
tns2
Community Leader
Community Leader

THe ps3 was terrible at calculating your network speed.  and the PS4 is still not great although it does support wireless-n.

0 Likes
Gfunk2

Ive ran all my cabling myself, quad shield coax, cat5e shielded wiring, all centralized in a smart panel, i think its now more PSN throttling fios customers for absurd speeds compared to the rest of the people connected. I would be happy to see a 30/15 connection on my consoles, has anyone compared numbers between  sony and xbox on fios, that would most likely give a clearer insight to the problem.

0 Likes
viafax999
Community Leader
Community Leader

0 Likes