Devices assigned to two different subnets
Explorer3253
I was having major issues with my moca network and wireless stability with the actiontec, so I connected my asus 68r into the actiontec and setup a secondary subnet 192.168.10.1. I then put the switch into my asus where most of my devices are connected. The issue I have is some of my devices end up on the asus while the majority are on the actiontec.

My wireless MacBook and iPhone along with my Ethernet drobo connect to the asus while all others fall onto the actiontec. Because of this my amazon fire which is on the actiontec won't see my drobo which is on the asus. Is there any way to force the devices on to one router or the other? My main goal is to get the amazon fire onto the asus so that it can see the drobo (nas). I've tried a static on the Asus but the firetv rejects that connection. Thanks in advance.
0 Likes
Re: Devices assigned to two different subnets
eljefe2
Master - Level 1

I would suggest that you need to have all devices on one sub-net.

I've had good success using an additional router as an Ethernet switch and WiFi access point by setting the Actiontec's Dynamic IP range to something like 192.168.1.10 through  192.168.1.254.  I then assign a static IP address to the D-Link/Netgear etc. router to a value below the DNS range, say 192.168.1.2.

I turn off the DNS server on the additional device, connect any LAN port on the Actiontec to any LAN port on the second router via Ethernet, and that's it.  All devices other devices are assigned an IP by the Actiontec's DNS, and since they're all on the same subset, they all work.

One other thought....there is some disagreement about this on various forums but I've had best success by setting two WiFi access points to different SSIDs on different channels.  The radio guy in my finds that works better than having multiple access points on the same SSID and/or channel.

Good luck.

0 Likes