Do Verizon FIOS MI424WR routers put out a wireless signal even when wireless is disabled?
Dramor
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have wireless disabled because all my pc's are hardwired to the router.  However, I've read that disabling a router is only a software change that stops it from broadcasting the SSID to prevent log-in's.  The router itself is still broadcasting the same signal as if wireless were enabled.  Is this true with regard to my Verizon MI424WR router?

Thanks for any info.

Re: Do Verizon FIOS MI424WR routers put out a wireless signal even when wireless is disabled?
lasagna
Community Leader
Community Leader

It you login to the router (192.168.1.1) and turn off the wireless (Wireless Settings -> Basic Security Settings) and turn OFF the wireless and Apply the change, the radio is turned off.   There will be no signal emitted by your router at that point.

The setting which turns off the broadcast of the wireless network name is referred to in the Advanced Settings as "SSID Broadcast" and it does not turn off the radio, just hides it from view by most clients who don't know it's there (just as an aside, this really doesn't add any appreciable security since it's pretty easy to sniff the SSID out of the air with minimal difficulty).

0 Likes
Re: Do Verizon FIOS MI424WR routers put out a wireless signal even when wireless is disabled?
tns
Master - Level 2

NoteTurning off SSID Broadcast is not meant as a security measure, but will stop the casual person just looking for any open network to connect with.