Don’t Install Verizon FIOS!
distantstar

Dear Verizon,

I received numerous calls from Verizon urging me to switch to FIOS due to the many service outages in my area.  Verizon promised that the switch would be absolutely free and cost me nothing while I retained the same services.  The representatives were very excited to tell me that I’d even save money by switching to FIOS.  I’d get much faster Internet at no extra charge and free long distance just by switching to FIOS.  Plus FIOS is guaranteed, so I could try it for thirty (30) days and if I didn’t like it, I could switch back at no charge.  

My DSL frequently does not work and the technical support refuses to fix it.  According to tech support, there is a special repair ticket that only a supervisor can touch and no one can touch it except for the special supervisor.  This is the second week I’ve been waiting for the special supervisor to touch the special repair ticket.  I’m still waiting.

I called billing/customer service to get credit for no DSL service and was quoted a FIOS rate with several discounts as the only alternative to defective DSL service. 

I’m declining your appointment to install FIOS.  The bill you sent is nearly three (3) times higher than the price that you quoted.  It does not include any of the promised discounts.  It starts higher than your advertised rate.

A search engine and the term “Verizon overbilling”, will yield many customer complaints about excessive charges.  Thanks, but I don’t want to be over billed. 

Here’s one at: http://verizon.pissedconsumer.com/verizon-overbilling-20120723334108.html    The customer says, “ More than half of the time Verizon makes billing "errors" (always in its favor).  Verizon is now trying to charge us $459.91 for a "PC configuration" service that was never requested or carried out. We didn't even know that such a service exists (and would refuse it at that price). So far five calls, maybe four hours total, to get the bogus charge removed. No luck yet.

Isn’t odd how those excessive billing “errors” are always in favor of Verizon.  It is amazing! 

Then there is the $459.91 charge for a service never ordered or provided.  Even after four (4) hours on the phone, the bill still isn’t corrected!

I know what it’s like to spend many, many hours on the phone with Verizon, but more about that later.

Since you have no qualms about billing three times higher than the quoted price, then you should be agreeable to three times less than the quoted price, in which case you will be paying me. 

I also don’t like “bait and switch”.  That’s where you quote a price that you never intended to honor.  The price is just to bait the customer, but then you switch to a higher price.  Of course you have lots and lots of excuses as to why the price is so much higher.  Oh by the way, “bait and switch” is illegal in this state.

The Verizon representative who quoted the FIOS price also promised that a supervisor would reach out to me (that means call back) about a related issue and that the FIOS installation appointment would be set by the customer, rather than Verizon.  The supervisor never called, they never do!  Verizon unilaterally set the appointment without considering or contacting me. 

On my subsequent calls, a supervisor has NEVER been available to speak to me and NEVER called back despite promises to “reach out to me”.  There is no fax number or email to reach a supervisor. 

When asked for alternative help, Verizon customer service representatives do not know the name of the company President, or the address or phone number of the corporate office or any other source of help.  The representatives have never heard of a customer advocate or assistant, an executive team, an escalation group or any other help for the exhausted customer. 

All the representatives can do is transfer the call to a wrong number or disconnect the call so the customer gets to start all over again.  After all, a customer’s time isn’t worth anything!

Yet the Verzion website boasts, “Our customer support team is here to help”.  Really?  Help who?

I called Verizon to decline the installation appointment.  Informing the Verizon billing department wasn’t sufficient, as I had to wait on hold while billing got a member of the FIOS Team on the line. 

The FIOS team representative started the conversation with, “So you’re calling to cancel your services”.  I explained that I was not canceling any services.  I was declining a FIOS installation appointment that was set unilaterally by Verizon.  The Verizon representative said that if I canceled my FIOS service that I would have NO service at all since the area is being switched over to FIOS.  I explained that I don’t have FIOS and so I can’t cancel FIOS since I don’t have it to begin with.  I’m keeping all services.

The representative’s intimidation tactics continued as she said she was putting in the notes that she warned me.  I replied that I have regular service that is not FIOS and Verizon could call me when they get to the point that the only service they offer is exclusively FIOS.  The Verizon representative said that’s not how they do it, they will just shut off all services without notice. 

I replied that I don’t think that is ethical.  So what happened to the free switch to FIOS that costs me nothing?  How could FIOS be guaranteed since switching back in 30 days would clearly result in the termination of all services?  What kind of guarantee is that?

I again called billing/customer service twice to explain to two (2) different representatives that I am not canceling anything.  I am merely declining your gracious offer to install FIOS at an outrageous price that is far more than my regular monthly bill and nearly three (3) times higher than the price that you quoted.  Of course this consumed hours more of my time on the phone while I waited to speak with a supervisor that was NOT available, and did not call me back. 

Although I made it repeatedly clear that I am not canceling any services but merely declining an installation appointment, I wouldn’t be surprised if Verizon trucks arrive anyway. 

In the meantime I continue to await delivery of the box of Ethernet cables.  DSL tech support declined to fix the DSL service because my wireless modem/router was connected to my wireless computer.  According to tech support this is not allowed and the only way to have Internet service is via Ethernet cable.  So tech service refused to help.  I’m going to need several different length cables.  Some short ones for when I am near the modem/router and a very long one for when I am in other rooms.  Please expedite the shipment of a 200 foot Ethernet cable so that tech support will finally restore my DSL service.  Thanks.

0 Likes