Re: Downloading iOS 8 to iPhone
hclyatt

@Hubrisnxs wrote:

Fwiw I'm just sharing what I see as the most common fix for people that aren't interested in making giants move but just want their updates.

I appreciate that you are helping, as I am sure the people you are helping appreciate it as well.

In my opinion they shouldn't even have to know this stuff or make any changes for these two companies to work together. As I am sure some just want a resolution even if they have to work around the issue themselves. But the end result may be that the issue is not resolved and continue into unforeseen future.

0 Likes
mejdzer

I totally agree with @hclyatt. I went to my friend's house to use his TWC to upgrade my iPhone. It took 20 min vs. 23hours on FIOS (even after changing the DNS - nothing has helped). I upgraded my iPad at work (also around 20min). I simply gave up. It's almost a week after iOS8 release and Verizon is not willing to resolve the (peering?) issue. No more comments...

0 Likes
Hubrisnxs
Legend

@mejdzer wrote:

I totally agree with @@hclyatt. I went to my friend's house to use his TWC to upgrade my iPhone. It took 20 min vs. 23hours on FIOS (even after changing the DNS - nothing has helped). I upgraded my iPad at work (also around 20min). I simply gave up. It's almost a week after iOS8 release and Verizon is not willing to resolve the (peering?) issue. No more comments...

There were three work arounds for Apple's CDN in your area.   The one that worked the most is the DNS, but there was also a VPN and for the instances where the DNS change fails called Null Routing. 

When you change DNS, you're just redirected to another alpha quality Apple CDN node, in your cased, it was also broken. That is why the null routing idea makes sense, it will cause you to fail back to Akamai, an industry leading CDN who has experience delivering big software updates at blazing speeds.

You can do this on most home routers also by placing a static route (in Advanced Settings) to 17.253.0.0/16, with a next-hop of 127.0.0.1.

Try it, you won't be disappointed.

0 Likes
jjair

At first I was skeptical about the benifit of using an alternitive DNS server until I noticed that the Google DNS produced different IP addresses for the CDN then the Verizon (FIOS) DNS server.  Since I had had a lot of experience managing Internet routing, here is what I think has been happening.  The alternative DNS will access a lesser used CDN then that which the FIOS DNS finds and thus because the other may have a lower load, it will perform better.

Using the Google DNS (8.8.8.8) I was able to download IOS 8 for my iPad in about an hour as opposed to the 20 or more hours via the FIOS DNS.  However as someone else has said, the alternative address will not allways give a better result, it depends on chance.

0 Likes