Ethernet Cable to 2 iMacs...
Nettles1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Is there any reason not to...

TV, DVR, Router all together in Living Room. 2 iMacs in Dining Room. I ran an ethernet cable around the base of the wall to the 1st iMac. Can I split that cable near the computer to go to the 2nd iMac or should I run another ethernet cable across the room?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Ethernet Cable to 2 iMacs...
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

To "split" and Ethernet cable you need to use a switch.  Ethernet cannot be passivly split.

The only downside to using a switch is that it will add more wires and cables behind your computers.  In your situation, the switch would have four cables connected to it: Ethernet feed from the router, two Ethernet cables to the iMacs, and a power cord.  So, a bit more of a rats nest than running two separate Ethernet cables across the room.

Your call.

View solution in original post

Re: Ethernet Cable to 2 iMacs...
gs0b
Community Leader
Community Leader

To "split" and Ethernet cable you need to use a switch.  Ethernet cannot be passivly split.

The only downside to using a switch is that it will add more wires and cables behind your computers.  In your situation, the switch would have four cables connected to it: Ethernet feed from the router, two Ethernet cables to the iMacs, and a power cord.  So, a bit more of a rats nest than running two separate Ethernet cables across the room.

Your call.