Every 4-5 months my wireless internet speed slows to a trickle
Skeeterskier
Enthusiast - Level 1

After 20 or so months of FIOS service, I've had my wireless router replaced 4 times. Every time I install the new one, it works great. For a while.

Every 4-5 months the speed slows to a trickle (avg 1.5 mbps DL and UL speed) even thought the signal from the router (MI424WR) to all my devices is very strong (SIGNAL STRENGHT: EXCELLENT.)

Of course, I've unplugged, rebooted, relocated, replaced cables, upgraded firmware, blah, blah, blah.

On top of utilizing wireless, I also have a tower directly connected with an ethernet cable, but the speeds stay great (in the 14-15 mbps neighborhood!) Definitely no loss here.

Technician has been out once but he didn't have an answer, other than leaving behind a new router...which - of course - worked great for a few months before doing the exact same thing (strong signal, weak DL/UL speeds.)

It's not even a progressive slow-down...it works great, then boom.

If I call Verizon, they'll have me go through the same tired process I've been through multiple times, and I've just about had it. I'm kind of techie....I know my machines are runing fine so they're NOT the issue. The dang thing just went into its funk again, and noone can tell me why. After 2 hours on the phone, they'll say the solution is to connect a new wireless router.

Anyone have ANY suggestion. The next thing I'm thinkinig is just to buy my own **bleep** wireless router, and hope it gives me more that 4 months of service.

0 Likes
Re: Every 4-5 months my wireless internet speed slows to a trickle
PJL
Master - Level 3

You are likely experiencing WiFi interference because a nearby network is on the same WiFi channel.  If you have an Android device, get thefree WiFi Analyzer app from the Google Play Store so you can see the in-use channels and check for interference.  There are likely apps for IOS or Windows too.  Then select a channel on your router (as opposed to the "auto" setting for channel selection) that is not in use. 

This might be your issue.

Re: Every 4-5 months my wireless internet speed slows to a trickle
Skeeterskier
Enthusiast - Level 1

Cool app...I can certainly see how it can come in handy!

OK....so with the app (WIFI ANALYZER) I saw 3 other WIFI signals, and they were all on the mid-range channels. The app had a channel rating, with channel 1 being the best. So, I logged into the router and changed from AUTO to Channel 1.

Same slow speed, however.

My issue hasn't really been with my WIFI signal strength...it's ALWAYS been real strong throughout the house. Even the DISH receiver in the back bedroom gets 3 out of four bars, and my laptop always show SIGNAL STRENGTH: EXCELLENT. Phones, iPads, MacAir, MacBook, TouchSmart...they're all getting the signal loud and clear and now - with the app - I feel confident that this isn't the issue.

I really appreciate the reply...I certainly learned something. I'll be able to make good use of it out it public, THAT'S for sure!

0 Likes